Happy World Diabetes Day!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The number of people in the world with diabetes is increasing. We have got to get better at dealing with the condition. This forum is playing a major role in this fight. Have a great day! :)

Reactions: 9 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I concur. Let's keep up the fight and support each other.

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great to see that there is a Diabetes supplement in the Independent today, and a fantastic reference to THIS FORUM in one of its articles.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be great if they plugged the site over here as well.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got a present from a friend yesterday (on diabetes day) - a sugar shaker! It had the word for sugar actually written on it! I was wondering if it was an ironic joke, but alas, no. :banghead:

I raised my eyebrows, and she said, 'You can put stevia in it.' (I use liquid stevia, the rare times I use it.)

Would it be even worse if we DIDN'T have diabetes day? One wonders.

Sethlb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The ignorant
Well it would be amazing, if people got recommended to the site.
As of when they have been diagnosed.
I have only just found out about this site by chance, whilst viewing Facebook.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well it would be amazing, if people got recommended to the site.
As of when they have been diagnosed.
I have only just found out about this site by chance, whilst viewing Facebook.

Yes! I totally agree. I have talked about this site with my GP, and my diabetes nurse, and urged them to suggest it to their other diabetic patients. When I found the forum from surfing diabetes subjects, I was blown away by the incredible amount and range of information being shared by people who it really affects - fellow diabetics. Personally, I wish I had learnt about low-carb eating a lot earlier! But better late than never! (One of the forum's particular strengths I think - is carbohydrate awareness, is how I have understood it, although it might just be the parts of the forum I hang out in.)

The main daily newspaper of the country I am currently in (Sweden), did put a banner about diabetes on the cover yesterday, but the article, although on a very worthy subject, was about only one particular group of diabetes sufferers - children with T1 (and their parents). And no mention of gaining good BG control with low-carbing (in addition to injecting insulin) to increase lifespan and quality of life - something of even greater importance for diabetic children I would have thought. I was kind of hoping for a 'state of the nation and the state of the world' article regarding diabetes (of which this very worthy subject of children with T1 and the campaign for subsidised continuous BG meters, could have been one aspect). I am most disappointed. Am currently surfing looking for better ones. Give me a 'shout' if you know of one to direct me to...

Sethlb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The ignorant
The main daily newspaper of the country I am currently in (Sweden), did put a banner about diabetes on the cover yesterday, but the article, although on a very worthy subject, was about only one particular group of diabetes sufferers - children with T1 (and their parents). And no mention of gaining good BG control with low-carbing (in addition to injecting insulin) to increase lifespan and quality of life - something of even greater importance for diabetic children I would have thought. I was kind of hoping for a 'state of the nation and the state of the world' article regarding diabetes (of which this very worthy subject of children with T1 and the campaign for subsidised continuous BG meters, could have been one aspect). I am most disappointed. Am currently surfing looking for better ones. Give me a 'shout' if you know of one to direct me to...

Maybe what we need is a youtube awareness campaign.