What oils should one use to cook with?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
I thought rape seed oil was OK to cook with but I see certain vegetable oils are not recommended.
regards
Derek

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rapeseed is good for high heat frying as it has a high smoke point. Extra Virginia olive oil is best kept for salad dressings

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Until the 1950s, when the Canadians bred a strain humans could eat, rapeseed/canola oil was toxic to humans. I lived in a village surrounded by the stuff and it caused lots of allergies, so I wouldn't touch it.

Coconut oil is good for high temperatures, ditto lard. If you're going to roast, duck and goose fat are great, so is dripping. Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point and sunflower oil changes its chemical composition from good to bad as soon as it's heated. Ghee is great for high temperatures because all the milk solids have been removed, but the milk solids in butter give it a tendency to burn. You can damp that down a bit by adding a smidgen of olive oil though. Ghee can be expensive and the cheaper stuff often includes an additive which tastes vaguely of pineapple. Palm oil is great for high temperatures too, it has a bad rep because some brands haven't been rainforest friendly.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use extra virgin olive oil for everything including frying....as long as you keep the temperature steady and not too high it's fine

R2T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter, war, pestilence
I use coconut oil spray for frying bacon.... mmm, bacon! :)

Reactions: 4 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I use coconut oil for frying (and as a hair conditioner!) and I use olive oil for most other cooking, sometimes combined with butter. I use extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings.

My husband uses extra virgin olive oil for all types of cooking. Loads of it. Although even when frying he doesn't go very high with the heat. If he is cooking I eat what I'm given and always enjoy it.