DVLA medical worry

saz1902

Hi all.
I have been told I need a medical from the dr for the DVLA before they will renew my license. I have my appointment booked for a few days time. I am really worried what they will test for and what they will base their decision on whether to renew it. Has anyone had one of these medicals or know what they look for? Any advise would be appreciated.
Many thanks X

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Is it your own GP and who said you needed a medical?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
They will ask you whether you have had any severe hypos in the last year.

What they mean is did you hypo to such an extent that someone had to help you - note the 'had to help you' it doesn't count if you were having a hypo and someone brings you a biscuit and a cup of sweet tea when you could have handled it yourself. This includes night time hypos.

They may also check your vision and in particular peripheral vision.

A lot of people get caught out by the hypo question; so think really carefully how you answer it. Don't lie of course but be aware exactly what they are asking.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - was there anything on the renewal form that they were concerned about do you know? It's not standard practice to ask for a medical as far as I know unless they've started doing random ones.

Delilah54

Hi all.
I have been told I need a medical from the dr for the DVLA before they will renew my license. I have my appointment booked for a few days time. I am really worried what they will test for and what they will base their decision on whether to renew it. Has anyone had one of these medicals or know what they look for? Any advise would be appreciated.
Many thanks X
My husband was sent for a medical with a panel doctor, because his own GP didn't reply to DVLA's letter. Be very careful what you say about alcohol consumption, and also how much you drink beforehand. There is a relatively new blood test they're using, that tracks alcohol use for up to 14 days. Called Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin - lots of stuff on web. Usually used when someone's been convicted of motoring offence, but DVLA introduced it two years ago, and it's a well kept secret - even to Dabetes UK, it appears. Long story, but outcome was refusal of licence, for minimum of 6months. Absolute nightmare...

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No. My license was due for renewal and the DVLA wrote to me telling me to have one done by my dr.
It sounds to me as if when you filled in the renewal form there was a long gap between licence renal and last Drs apt, hence the check.
Tip is always visit GP at least a month before renewal so you can put this date on the form. There's no bother then.

saz1902

Thanks all! I'm now worried about this alcohol thing? Last week I probably had way more than I should, but none this week ( I don't drive the morning after). Hope a week alcohol free will be enough!

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
Many thanks X
well regarding DVLA medical , I received a letter last week regarding the renewal of my 3 year driving licence that expires in March 2016 there asked for my doctors address etc,my last eye test,but one thing that was different than last time, there demanded my driving licence back with that returned letter ! luckerly I havnt got a car if I had a car would I have been able to drive it between now and march 2016.since then I went to an obtitions and had a eye test. I was told I needed varifocal specs ! but youll need other pair for driving ? thinking to my self another con artist.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well regarding DVLA medical , I received a letter last week regarding the renewal of my 3 year driving licence that expires in March 2016 there asked for my doctors address etc,my last eye test,but one thing that was different than last time, there demanded my driving licence back with that returned letter ! luckerly I havnt got a car if I had a car would I have been able to drive it between now and march 2016.since then I went to an obtitions and had a eye test. I was told I needed varifocal specs ! but youll need other pair for driving ? thinking to my self another con artist.
-------------------dust to say the medical is a group2 hgv medical,consists of eyes test,blood pressure , and few other things, in my case my company paid the then £100 and hell I failed because I have artritis in my left knee,the medical was with my own GP before he gave me the medical he told me that he was sending a letter to my employer telling them he didn't approve of me driving for them with my arteritis in my left knee, and that he would send them the bill for the medical.2 days later the company received the medical report, 1 hour later my P45 and final wagepacket was in my pocket. now today ive also got diabetes type 1 went to an indipendant obtition last week for a eye test I was told ive 2 cateracts growing and ive got one eye long sighted and the other eye short sighted ive been gived varifocal specs,but told not to drive si it looks like the driving licence wont becoming back !

Last edited by a moderator:

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
Many thanks X
JUST GOT MY LATEST LETTER DVLA MEDICAL GROUP RENEWAL OF MY MARCH 2016 LICENCE before xmas there sent me 2 forms to fill in and demanded the letter, my driving licence must be returned before xmas. my latest letter was a photo copy of when I last seen a GP or GPSDiabetic nurse, exact date, I didn't know and put a ? mark,that wasn't enough info, and nasterly there said coments like this will scrap your latest application and I will not get my driving licence back. when I went through my diarys I found that my diabetic nurse or my GP hadn't seen me since 18/ September/2014 and ive been a diabetic for 3 years and the only eye test ive ever had in the last 3years was 2 weeks ago at vision express........... I was told by that optition I have 2 cateracts starting and he asked how I got to them he said hope you didn't drive ? I said I use public transport because I havnt got a car now