insulin pump vs insulin pen

Steve11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
what are the disadvantages and advantages of the pump ?
is there anything to suggest its better than the pen? and does it inhibit movement at all ?
it was recommended to me by a health professional when i was diagnosed , to keep better track of "everything"
i have always used a pen. im interested in what people think .
thanks

Reactions: 3 people

Malky58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on a pen for over a year now and I would not like to go back to a pen. Much easier to administer insulin and it keeps your records for you! It is not a problem for movement and easy to adjust for exercise mor other activities. I also fell much betterable to miss a meal if I wish as there is no basal dose given in a lump.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Steve11

Have a good read around the insulin pump section of the forum, this topic has come up for discussion quite a lot recently so there's plenty to look at.

Also have a look at INPUT, it has some fantastic information & advice on pumps:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

IMHO the benefits of pumping far outweigh what can be achieved on injections, for example adjusting your basal insulin to your bodies needs not to mention the bolusing options available.

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I have been on a pen for over a year now and I would not like to go back to a pen. Much easier to administer insulin and it keeps your records for you! It is not a problem for movement and easy to adjust for exercise mor other activities. I also fell much betterable to miss a meal if I wish as there is no basal dose given in a lump.
I am presuming you meant been on a pump for over a year lol :)

D

Deleted member 83869

I love my pump....although I am currently off of it but that is because I am due to start a new one thursday......and I cannot wait!! it is so much more convenient in life! :)

Reactions: 2 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used a pen for many years and have had a pump for the last 7 years. For me the pump is a godsend, I was quite unsure how I would feel having something permanently attached to me but you soon get used to it. I find the freedom it gives with working more like your pancreas should is fantastic and the insulin on board system has changed my whole diabetic outlook. My HBA1c is the best it's ever been and I honestly wouldn't be without it. Having said all that, it's not for everyone and the only way you can decide is to find out as much info as you can about it.
As for being active with it, there are straps you can buy to strap it to your leg or waist for swimming or sports, although I just pop it in my sports bra or swimming costume.

steveo4

I was on a pump for 5 years but earlier this year I went back on injections because I got so fed up being attached to the pump all of the time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
can you inter change from pen to pump as it suits you ? or is it more dedicated ?

No that's not recommended, some pump usersdo take a break for holidays abroad but there's no reason why you'd want to interchange, you'll find this to be the case should you start on a pump @Steve11

Steve11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
looks like the pump might be an option for me in the future, if it is ever possible to interchange and keep control ill be the first to jump on it . appreciate the info from you all
pleased with the feedback!
thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
looks like the pump might be an option for me in the future, if it is ever possible to interchange and keep control ill be the first to jump on it . appreciate the info from you all
pleased with the feedback!
thanks

Why would you want to interchange Steve, do you have a reason for thinking along these lines?

Steve11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Because you cant just pick and choose when you want to be on your pump, it will mess up with your control!
Why would you want to interchange Steve, do you have a reason for thinking along these lines?
i have quite an active life style and travel quite alot so was thinking for driving or flying long distance a pump would be ideal
and when not travelling or working a pen would be ideal too the more i think about it , the more i want to experiment with the idea
even though it is not advised , im no maveric but i do like to push boundries and the only way to find out is to have ago

Steve11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have quite an active life style and travel quite alot so was thinking for driving or flying long distance a pump would be ideal
and when not travelling or working a pen would be ideal too the more i think about it , the more i want to experiment with the idea
even though it is not advised , im no maveric but i do like to push boundries and the only way to find out is to have ago
sorry for the bad grammer

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

A pump would be ideal for both scenario's (active and sedentary life-style), that is the beauty of a pump as you can better adjust your basal & boluses doses to match either.

Good luck anyway Steve.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
After 53 years of injections I have now been on a pump for 6 months.I had good control on MDI but lost my 'hypo' awareness,would I go back to MDI,not a chance.Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: 4 people