2 hour postprandial readings:- 2 hours from start or finish of meal????

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This video has the most helpful explanation of gluose challenge testing I've found so far:

Reactions: 7 people

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ag I used to test a lot so I know which foods my body doesn't like and which I can get away with. I was going to test tonight after my meal but I forgot and have been nibbling- useless I am but my fasting levels in the last 10 days have been brilliant as in 5.4 the last 3 days . I just want something to show the doctor on Friday. Tomorrow I will really make an effort to test.

Reactions: 4 people

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always test 2 hours after I finish eating, as I can take up to half an hour or more to eat a meal.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I always test 2 hours after I finish eating, as I can take up to half an hour or more to eat a meal.

We recommend from first bite because of the chemical reaction caused by the process of first mouthful including enzymes, saliva and hormones.
Do you take a pre meal reading?

Reactions: dbr10

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

The biochemical,reaction is triggered at first bite. A 2 hour Postprandial Test is timed from that first bite :)

You can, of course, do,extra tests :)

geemacwilly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We recommend from first bite because of the chemical reaction caused by the process of first mouthful including enzymes, saliva and hormones.

Not always, DB nurse told me 2 hours after meal end, will ask the DB consultant next week when I have my check-up.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Working on the basis that you test 2 hours from first bite, I have to resist popping anything in my mouth while I'm cooking the meal! :joyful:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not always, DB nurse told me 2 hours after meal end, will ask the DB consultant next week when I have my check-up.
If you don't take a pre meal reading what use is the two hour reading?
Taking and recording results of meals is very important in how to control your blood glucose levels.
The individual reading is not as important as the overall trend in your results.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard that explanation before but I still don't understand it. Even if insulin is released early, it can only help distribute the glucose into the muscles after the food has been digested and the glucose has appeared in the bloodstream. What we are testing with post-prandial tests is whether the glucose levels have returned to normal after eating so we need to have stopped eating.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have to resist popping anything in my mouth while I'm cooking the meal! :joyful:

Yes, that's a worry when you are taste testing. :D
If you don't take a pre meal reading what use is the two hour reading?

Pretty pointless, I was being tested before meals and two hours after a meals first bite when I was in hospital.

My DE also stated test before meals and two hours after a first bite of a meal.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have heard that explanation before but I still don't understand it. Even if insulin is released early, it can only help distribute the glucose into the muscles after the food has been digested and the glucose has appeared in the bloodstream. What we are testing with post-prandial tests is whether the glucose levels have returned to normal after eating so we need to have stopped eating.

The first bite starts the rise in glucose levels!

You are not correct, there has to be a return to within 2mmols of your pre meal reading.. if below that figure it is fine what you have eaten.
If above, then some part of combination of foods should be taken out or reduced in portion size.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point is that my ability to deal with glucose in my bloodstream is not challenged until the glucose is actually there. If my meal is a salad then my blood glucose will stay low, it will not be until I start digesting the apple crumble dessert that my limited insulin or my insulin resistance will have an effect. So timing from the start of the salad part makes no sense, my pancreas doesn't know if I am going to have a dessert or not.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My point is that my ability to deal with glucose in my bloodstream is not challenged until the glucose is actually there. If my meal is a salad then my blood glucose will stay low, it will not be until I start digesting the apple crumble dessert that my limited insulin or my insulin resistance will have an effect. So timing from the start of the salad part makes no sense, my pancreas doesn't know if I am going to have a dessert or not.

The first bite triggers the metabolic process which, in non-diabetics, will ensure the blood glucose returns to normal by two hours. The 2 Hour PP Test is to compare our response to those of people without diabetes. It's a recognised term with defined rules.

That doesn't mean people can't test when they like :) However, if you're asked what your 2 Hour PP Reading is then that is, by definition, from first bite.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first bite triggers the metabolic process which, in non-diabetics, will ensure the blood glucose returns to normal by two hours. The 2 Hour PP Test is to compare our response to those of people without diabetes. It's a recognised term with defined rules.
Hi @azure, you have told me that "after first bite" is a definition before, but I haven't been able to find an official reference with an explanation. It usually says "after eating" which could equally be the end of the meal. Also, what is this metabolic process that you refer to? If you mean the process that generates saliva and digestive juices, then these are also started by seeing and particularly smelling food. With your theory may be we should time from first sniff? :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @azure, you have told me that "after first bite" is a definition before, but I haven't been able to find an official reference with an explanation. It usually says "after eating" which could equally be the end of the meal. Also, what is this metabolic process that you refer to? If you mean the process that generates saliva and digestive juices, then these are also started by seeing and particularly smelling food. With your theory may be we should time from first sniff? :)

There are a number of sites explaining that it's from first bite :) The definition isn't mine - it's a medical one.

You can find reference to the first bite start time in many places. Here's Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_glucose_test

"A 2-hour postprandial blood glucose test...measures blood glucose exactly 2 hours after eating a meal, timed from the start of the meal. By this point blood sugar has usually gone back down in healthy people, but it may still be elevated in people with diabetes."

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most of the time (when I'm organised enough) I test before first bite. Unless it's pasta I will test after meal and extend it and I always test 2 hours after incase a correction is needed x