Possible coeliac - symptoms of this specific to diabetes

cazz_mm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I have recently been tested for coeliac (last week), and have been off gluten since. (Symptoms included extreme lethargy, stomach pains/upsets, etc.... and I have always had trouble controlling my type 1 diabetes.) I have done a lot of research on coeliac websites and can tick every symptom going for at least the last 6-12 months. But I can't find any info on what accidentally eating gluten will do to my diabetes.... and was hoping some one might be able to advise me.

Last night I ate half a packet of Walkers crisps ("produced in a factory handling wheat") and had an unexplained and quite horrendous hypo a few hours later. I assumed it had messed up somehow, though I was 4.3 before bed so I set a temp rate on my pump AND had a sugary drink.... didn't test the hypo, which was not even 2 hours later, but was barely able to see/walk so I know it was very low. Today I was cold, headachy, by lunch time I was nauseous, terrible stomach ache (just below my ribs and just below my belly button) and plenty of wind, couldn't eat my (glutend free) lunch.... and my bm went from 12.5 (bit pants) at 7am to 29.3 (terrible) at 12pm.... despite bolusing in the am as well as with breakfast.

Could these diabetic symptoms be attributed to the small chance of eating a small amount of gluten the night before? Seems crazy to me, as I have only been gluten free for about 10 days! The gastric symptoms seem to fit, but do the diabetes ones? (Am thinking maybe my gut reacted... didn't absorb the sugars in dinner, hence the hypo and then it all got a little out of hand??)

Sorry for all the waffle! Any advice/similar experiences would be greatly appreciated ☺

cazz_mm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so I have just read my breakfast (porridge ) "may contain tai cereals with gluten"

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have recently been tested for coeliac (last week), and have been off gluten since.
When you say you were tested, do you mean a blood test or an endoscopy? If it was just the blood test then depending on what that shows will decide if you need a biopsy taken so you need to carry on eating gluten if that's the case :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok, so I have just read my breakfast (porridge ) "may contain tai cereals with gluten"

If it is confirmed that you have coeliac disease then you can purchase gluten-free porridge, whatever the results I do hope they find the cause of your troubles. Good luck @cazz_mm.

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
When you say you were tested, do you mean a blood test or an endoscopy? If it was just the blood test then depending on what that shows will decide if you need a biopsy taken so you need to carry on eating gluten if that's the case :(
The biopsy is also unreliable. Just don't eat gluten - anybody anywhere seen any advantage in eating it?

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I was offered an endoscopy decades ago. If they find something you are a coeliac, if they don't it could be they just didn't find it. I know exactly what gluten does to me so I turned them down. What was the point of being told you can't eat something that you know you can't eat?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The biopsy is also unreliable. Just don't eat gluten - anybody anywhere seen any advantage in eating it?

Erm... 'normal' food is more readily available, cheaper and tastes better!??

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was offered an endoscopy decades ago. If they find something you are a coeliac, if they don't it could be they just didn't find it. I know exactly what gluten does to me so I turned them down. What was the point of being told you can't eat something that you know you can't eat?

If you are confirmed as Coeliac then you are prescribed some gluten free foods. Obviously if not and just gluten intolerant then you buy everything yourself.

buddyscott

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If you are confirmed as Coeliac then you are prescribed some gluten free foods. Obviously if not and just gluten intolerant then you buy everything yourself.
One thing I will say is DON'T EAT ANYTHING WITH PSYLLIUM IN. It put me in A and E twice.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac-disease/getting-diagnosed/gut-biopsy/

If people just gave up eating gluten, they still wouldn't know if they have Coeliac disease, with blood test, which comes in two parts, plus an endoscopy. I have coeliac and I had no idea what foods had gluten in them, apart from the obvious, bread. It means a strict diet for life, no gluten or wheat, rye, barley and oats. Also, as it's an auto immune condition, siblings and also children of a coeliac, need to be be tested too. Any medical condition needs to be investigated and then, if needed, to be referred for a diagnosis.

celiac_intestine.gif

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
One thing I will say is DON'T EAT ANYTHING WITH PSYLLIUM IN. It put me in A and E twice.
I sincerely hope that if I eat anything with psyllium in it that it doesn't put you in hospital ;):eek:

Reactions: 2 people