Prediabetes How can I control my stress?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I'm prediabetic and I have been working so hard to control my levels since May. I have lost weight naturally, dropped 2 dress sizes (18 to 14) and working hard at my low carb meals. I have recently had a week's holiday in Tenerife. Sun, pool, walks and sensible eating. My levels were fantastic. Spanish tapas - high protein and veg - really suited me. For the first time I managed to get my early morning levels to 4.9, 5.1 and never above 5.5. Brill! I'm now back at work in uk and I'm struggling to get my levels below 6.0. Normal at other times of day. Had more indulgences in Tenerife than I ever have at home. So what is it? Stress? Climate?

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, mine are lower on holiday and like you, sadly, am wondering if it's stress caused by wirk etc, apparently a stress hormone turns protein to sugar....

Have been trying to drink more water, and walk a bit more, and that helping. And also tell myself, worrying is not going to make anything better anyway......

Well done on yr levels 6 is good.

Best

D

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it could be that work is stressing you, but if you don't feel stressed by it, then it doesn't sound likely. Maybe your daily life is more sedentary than all that walking and fresh air on holiday? As @Daffodils1 says, 6 is pretty good anyway. Well done on your weight loss and low carbing too as that may help you to scare off the diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was stress for me , no problems with the job for 15 years (it was stressful:banghead: but just lived with it) but then got T2 and it was found to spike my bloods :(..............

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about looking into a yoga, Pilates or meditation class ? Or borrowing books on stress from a library ? My mother swears by something called Bach's Rescue Remedy, which you can get in health food stores - supposedly it calms her down. Also, you might be able to get referred for counselling via your GP.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree and do find exercise helps. Have been on citalopram and was trying to reduce to come off. I'm now back on. But so odd too find my levels after food lower than before! This must surely indicate stress is actually more of a factor than what I am eating. Control the stress, control the levels I guess.

ClaireMoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with suspected type 1 in Feb this year, straight onto injecting 4 times a day. My mum died in April and my appetite went out the window meaning I constantly hypo'd and so the consultant changed me to Metformin and Glicazide + Lantis at bedtime. I have a full on job, wouldn't say stressful but demanding. I struggle to get my BS below 10 first thing and throughout the day would be 15/16. My GP forced me to take some time off recently and straight away my BS' dropped to 6 - 8, best it has ever been. Have now gone back to work and immediately my BS has gone back to 15/16. I have recently lost 10lb and trying more then ever to stick to a healthy diet but I am concerned that my job is seriously affecting my ability to control my BS. Any thoughts?