Breakfast Cereals

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Michael: Most cereals contain sugar, so I was told. The reason to avoid them. Especially if one is a diabetic. Don't allow yourself to be lulled by the 'natural wheat' claim. Cereals are not natural foodstuffs. They have to be made and therefore they must be processed food. That's how I see it. I could be wrong of course. :angelic:

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look at the Blood Sugar Converter page on Diabetes UK ....it explains everything you
need to know about different types of readings and how to convert them.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Eating healthy will include cereals, wholemeal breads and pasta, brown rice. These keep you fuller for longer and allow a slow release of energy helping to avoid spikes in your blood sugars. Ask to go on a Diabetic Expert course, these are 6 x 2 hr sessions that are run by people who deal with diabetes every day, unlike your GP who may not be as clued up as they are.
This is so not true... I would never, ever, in my life touch any of the foods you mention... They will spike my blood glucose out of sight... I tightly control my BG every day with no meds at all, by not eating them... if you eat this way you will be on increasingly high doses of meds and you have a good chance of suffering diabetic complications later in life... These 'foods' will spike anyone who is diabetic - not just a few people...

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Michael: Most cereals contain sugar, so I was told. The reason to avoid them. Especially if one is a diabetic. Don't allow yourself to be lulled by the 'natural wheat' claim. Cereals are not natural foodstuffs. They have to be made and therefore they must be processed food. That's how I see it. I could be wrong of course. :angelic:
It's not the sugar that is put into the cereal my dear, it's the cereal itself... it converts to sugar in your body when you eat it - all grains do... wheat, spelt, buckwheat, rice. - even lovely quinoa.. it's all lethal to diabetics.... anything starchy - potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash... and and and... it's all sugar... I take no meds and I eat no grains or starch... testing is the only answer - before, and two hours after eating... I keep my BG between 4.5 and 6.7 mostly this way.... and it's carbohydrates that put the weight on, not the fats and protein.... Sorry, rant over... :) Check out the Diabetes 2, 'What did you eat today' thread... nice recipes and lots of ideas for food... It's never going to be easy, but it can be a much more comfortable journey... :)

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Couldn't agree more Susi. Although there is added sugar in most cereals, to **** the stuff even further!
Today I ate beef meat-balls, tomato sauce and white mushrooms. Home made of course! delish-ioh-so!

Cheers. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Couldn't agree more Susi. Although there is added sugar in most cereals, to **** the stuff even further!
Today I ate beef meat-balls, tomato sauce and white mushrooms. Home made of course! delish-ioh-so!

Cheers. :)

Sounds perfect... I have just found a recipe for cauliflower, bacon and cheese balls, with a crumb coating made from ground pork scratchings! Want it? :) You'll have to go to the 'what did you eat today' for D2 thread though, or we'll get wrong for going off piste... :)

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Scratchings? They have just cost me a perfectly healthy tooth! :mad: It broke beyond repair! Thanks for that recipe. I'll modify it! Cheers

Wobbly :joyful:

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just made a decent Granola - Coconut chips, flax, various seeds, walnuts, coconut oil. I ate it with yohurt and raspberries, quite nice with a satisfying crunch. I added a little Xylitol which was not in the recipe, which I got from Ditch the Carbs. Have not tested BG yet, so fingers crossed.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Scratchings? They have just cost me a perfectly healthy tooth! :mad: It broke beyond repair! Thanks for that recipe. I'll modify it! Cheers

Wobbly :joyful:
Nooo... you pulverise the scratchings and make the crispy coating with them!! :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have just made a decent Granola - Coconut chips, flax, various seeds, walnuts, coconut oil. I ate it with yohurt and raspberries, quite nice with a satisfying crunch. I added a little Xylitol which was not in the recipe, which I got from Ditch the Carbs. Have not tested BG yet, so fingers crossed.
It sounds good... did you bake it in the oven first or eat it just like it was?

papamhofu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i'd like to hear from anyhow who is controlling type II diabetes with HIIT type exercise (and also taking their tablets).
i have been having problems with hypo glycemia every now and then at night -- have to get up and raid the kitchen around 0300hrs sometimes...

enjoy
ken

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds good... did you bake it in the oven first or eat it just like it was?
Yes the recipe instructions said to bake it in a large dish in a 180 degree oven for about 20 minutes, turning regularly. The author said she took it out and stirred it around every three minutes as it burnt easily. That was what gave it some 'crunch'.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i'd like to hear from anyhow who is controlling type II diabetes with HIIT type exercise (and also taking their tablets).
i have been having problems with hypo glycemia every now and then at night -- have to get up and raid the kitchen around 0300hrs sometimes...

enjoy
ken
Just so I understand. You wake up test and find you are Hypo. Or you wake up feeling hungry. Not being critical just trying to understand.

papamhofu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just so I understand. You wake up test and find you are Hypo. Or you wake up feeling hungry. Not being critical just trying to understand.
wake up feeling faint and vety hungry. last time this happened i had a small sweet potato and a pear and i recovered. thanks for responding.

enjoy
ken

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wake up feeling faint and vety hungry. last time this happened i had a small sweet potato and a pear and i recovered. thanks for responding.

enjoy
ken
So do you test yourself to find out how low you are???? Have you thought about maybe pushing your levels up before you go to bed??? Do you think your diet takes into account you exercise????

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

enjoy
ken
Hi papamhofu... do you think you need to talk to your diabetes team about whether you're taking too much medication for your lifestyle? You should not really feel like that at any stage - and if you feel faint when you exercise you need to eat some food that's high in fat and protein before you start... peanut butter is brilliant - any nut butter is - or a couple of fat bombs with chocolate maybe
... but you sound as though you need to see your doctor at least...

papamhofu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi papamhofu... do you think you need to talk to your diabetes team about whether you're taking too much medication for your lifestyle? You should not really feel like that at any stage - and if you feel faint when you exercise you need to eat some food that's high in fat and protein before you start... peanut butter is brilliant - any nut butter is - or a couple of fat bombs with chocolate maybe
... but you sound as though you need to see your doctor at least...

thanks i'm due to see my doctor soon anyhow. they actually know about this anyhow and they say this is not unusual. this is the reason why i was asking this forum if there are any who have the same experience. thanks for the hint on protein and fat before exercise...

enjoy
ken

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thanks i'm due to see my doctor soon anyhow. they actually know about this anyhow and they say this is not unusual. this is the reason why i was asking this forum if there are any who have the same experience. thanks for the hint on protein and fat before exercise...

enjoy
ken
Good luck with your doctor's visit... :) If you exercise well you need less meds really as exercise brings your BG right down.... If you are low-carbing you need to tell your team what affect it has on your BG too....