Diabetes type 2 and gout

BiancaGodfrey

Hi everyone I've been type 2 for 8 years now and for the past 5 years I've had chronic on and off pain in my anckels.. today I had it confirmed it is gout. I don't get much medical support and I'm trying to find out ways to help me controll my levels better as I'm sue my gout is linked to my diabetes.. I've been given a special diet but it's seaming hard to come to terms with it all any help or suggestions are much welcomed. Thanks

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband was diagnosed with gout in his 30s which he found really embarrassing when his friends ribbed him about it. He avoids food high in purines and eats moderate carb and hasn't had an attack in several years now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Take allopurinol for gout. I have for 10 years. Not had a single attack.

Carbs have nothing to do with gout. I'm fact most of the foods that raise uric acid levels are low carb.

Controlling diabetes by diet is preferable but with gout just take the pill and never worry again!

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take allopurinol for gout. I have for 10 years. Not had a single attack.

Carbs have nothing to do with gout. I'm fact most of the foods that raise uric acid levels are low carb.

Controlling diabetes by diet is preferable but with gout just take the pill and never worry again!

Agree 100%, I was diagnosed with Gout in my early 30s and struggled for nearly a decade , tried everything.. and i mean everything, I was fit as a fiddle when diagnosed / tea total etc etc........ gave up all the bad things , even went vegetarian for a while to eliminate purines, tried taking cherry juice and all the other "cures" with no joy............was in agony several times a week........:banghead:

Then by a coincidence happened to see my old childhood doctor, who basically sat me down and said "its obviously not your diet and lifestyle" , so take the pills or you will be crippled in later life...:(

So took the pills and no pain for nearly ten years.................:)