high morning bg

jonesy

my son tested his blood this morning, and was 16.2.

could this mean that he had a night hypo?
he wasn't sweaty and feels absolutely fine.

he did have a snack before bed, but that was at 20:30 last night and he tested his blood at 8:00 this morning. surely last night's snack can't still be affecting his levels.

normally his morning levels are between 5 and 7.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi jonesy.

Is your son Diabetic ? That level is pretty high for anybody. Could be the result of DP, however, to get that high I wonder what his reading was immediately before bedtime.......if that was very high there could be a knock on effect.

What did he actually eat at 8.30pm ?

jopar

Hi Jonesy

If youve taken everything else, such as he's sneeked a extra snack in, an knock on effect from eariler in the day and whethere he's got any pending infection brewing...

Then hypo in the night could be a cause...

Generally there are other tell tell signs that do go with the high BG reading...

When I've slept through an night-time hypo I know because not only do I have raised BG, but I feel like I've been on a drinking session and have a mighty hang-over (I don't drink) I can hardly see as it's looks like I'm looking though very thick dark netting...

These are my signs that a night time hypo has occured, other diabetic may have less subtle effects in the morning, from feeling groggy up-wards..

jonesy

sorry....more info.....

my son is recently diagnosed type 1. about a month ago.
his levels have yoyo'd a bit, but we're getting them under control.
yesterday evening at about 20:00 ish he had a mild hypo and checked his blood, it was 3.4.
gave him 3 glucose tabs and couple of swigs of lucozade. 15 mins later he was 8.2.
after that he had a toasted bagel with reduced sugar jam on it, but at 21:00 his bg was back down to 5.
i banked on the fact that this would rise and that the bagel hadn't hit yet. waited tilll gone 21:30 but bg still 5. i assumed the bagel would raise this soon and off he went to bed.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I think Jopar said it all really.

When he goes to bed that level of 5'ish could really do with being a little higher. Try to negate any possible night time hypo. Also as he is only recently diagnosed he is no doubt going to fluctuate for some time before things settle down.

jonesy

i do generally send him to bed quite a bit higher. usually around 9-10.
thing is, he was reading 8.2 when i gave him the bagel, so why would it then drop to 5 and stay there??

another thing that happens is that he can be fine, measuring around 7 or 8 and then just drop to 3.5-3.9. could this be 'honeymoon period' insulin coming into play?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Jonesy.

I think in my own personal opinion you may well be right about the 'honeymoon' period. It does happen to a lot of T1's so is just something you need to be aware of.

sophsmam

we are really struggling to get our daughters b/s low in a morning even with increasing her levemir,is it possible she is having night time hypos never thought about this till i read this post.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It does sound like a case of the honeymoon period Jonesy.
A bagel on top of a bg of 8.2 would send me into orbit and his bg of 16 sounds pretty predictable. Dropping to 5 after the bagel suggests he either still had a significant level of injected insulin in his system at the time, or his pancreas decided to get busy again.
Generally, waking up in the 5's is good, but I wouldn't recommend going to bed as high as 9-10. That's a pretty toxic blood sugar and getting it down to 5 overnight needs a lot of insulin, more than just a basal dose. If the basal is set right, going to sleep and getting up in the morning could both be in the 5's.
The unpredictability of honeymooning is difficult to manage, but hopefully things will settle soon.

All the best,

fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, absolutely.
That's one of the essential differences between type 1 and type 2. As type 2's often produce a lot of their own insulin, at first anyway, their blood sugars can regulate themselves up to a point.
We type 1's don't have that ability. If there is insufficient insulin to deal with the glucose in the diet (bagels are essentially just glucose) then blood sugar will rise and keep rising. Without the necessary insulin, it simply won't fall back to a normal level.

All the best,

fergus

Shazza

jonesy said:
thing is, he was reading 8.2 when i gave him the bagel, so why would it then drop to 5 and stay there??

another thing that happens is that he can be fine, measuring around 7 or 8 and then just drop to 3.5-3.9. could this be 'honeymoon period' insulin coming into play?

Hi Jonesy My Son was also diagnosed a month ago and we seem to be in the honeymoon period we have had similar thing with you and the bagel reading and just couldnt figure it out at all :? we also often stay between 5 and 10 for days then suddenly it goes to 3 even 2.2 at the wknd. I,ve reduced his insulin twice int he past 2 weeks, he is on mixteard 30 twice a day. Sorry I cant offer any advice but least we are in the same boat and this forum is great for help :D

Shazza

jonesy said:

Hi Jonesy My Son was also diagnosed a month ago and we seem to be in the honeymoon period we have had similar thing with you and the bagel reading and just couldnt figure it out at all :? we also often stay between 5 and 10 for days then suddenly it goes to 3 even 2.2 at the wknd. I,ve reduced his insulin twice int he past 2 weeks, he is on mixtard 30 twice a day. Sorry I cant offer any advice but least we are in the same boat and this forum is great for help :D

hennypenny

hi, my son has been having incredibly high readings about 9-10 am after starting school. it hopefully now appears that this has been due to having hypo's in his sleep. his DN thinks starting school has changed his reaction to the insulin, it certainly has made him more sensitive to the lisprol we use for corrections but we have had to cut his teatime dose in half. but for the 1st time in 2 weeks no night time hypo and no really silly high's in the morning. still higher than we want but we are working on that. of course the only way i have made sure about the hypo's is getting up continuously and checking him as they seem to hit at different times each night. Could be worth checking though.Rosie.