BYETTA

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Jude.

Great to hear you are now doing better with the Byetta and that the weight and the numbers are coming down. :D

I am envious of your holiday. Have a great time. Forget the forum and just enjoy yourselves.

Ken.

Have been on Byetta 6 weeks. Was on Insulin but couldn't loose weight. Asked if I could try Byetta. 1 month on 5. 2 weeks on 10. Weight coming off, but just cannot eat anything but sugars have gone up. Anyone help ? :?:

SkimblesQueen

That's alright, as long as it's normal, yeah I'm injecting in my tummy.

Had a bit of a blip today on the old blood glucose levels 15.8 before dinner, but then I've not felt very well since last night when I went to bed, thought I'd treat myself last night to a bottle of alcopop (1.4 units), & went to bed then had massive pain in my stomach. Felt really sick last night too.

Not felt great today, but have eaten etc.

I don't usually get up until fairly late, which is another reason I don't have breakfast & normally my blood sugars are around the 10 mark when I get up.

My diabetic consultant put in my letter (recommending byetta treatment) that he suspects NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) would this affect the dawn phenomenon? (If anyone else has that problem?)

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hi jude long time no speak have not been on for long while finally got kitchen finished i got floor levelling stuff down my drains had to have new toilet all my drains were blocked then wait for it we had a wall knocked down moved one foot then rebuilt then my wall all cracked it was a nightmare (council) then to round off everything got sickness back real bad waiting for dn to ring me in morning been fine up till now fingers crossed i am not going down that road again lost one stone in weight bloods are between 5 and 8 in a morn 8 by teatime 6.2 tonight so they good, really dont understand sickness stomache real swollen it might be we had to pack all our things away and cook in bedroom for 4 weeks diabetus went all over the place see what dn says in morn hope its not bad news and i have to come off the byetta strange its about same length of time as before well we will see let you know how i get on still on 2x 500 glucoghage (metformin slow release) hey but enjoy your hols wish i had someone to go on holiday with but never mind take care hun speak soon

luv vivkaroo xxx :D

Smudger

Hi again everyone. It's been a few months since I last posted and I went through a month of the 5µg and now i'm into the 10th week of the 10µg.

I’m getting a bit worried after reading a few recent posts though. I’m on 4 x 80mg Gliclazide and 4 x 500mg Metformin slow release daily (two of each before breakfast and evening meal) and for the last 10 weeks 10µg Byetta (same times). My bs has dropped, but nothing like what I expected, my average the last two months is 8.1 but it ranges from 5.2 to 12.0 (taken before the above meals). Also, I’ve not seen any noticeable weight loss (which I could do with!) while I’ve been on the Byetta… So I’m now thinking my pancreas will explode due to the gliclazide and the Byetta is hardly having any effect at all except to make me feel pretty ill sometimes and shattered some others.

I guess it’ll be ok cos the worry will kill me now though! :lol:

Sillymilly

Started Byetta

I started on Byetta yesterday so here I go, wait to see waht happens.

I couldnt believe what I did.......first day and I did my injection, took my meds, and did my insulin. Went off to work and was busy discussing with my daughter what had been said at the hospital re my meds. I was saying oh they said stop taking the Piaglitazone straight away and to my horror I realised I had taken it as usual. I couldnt believe it, it is habit taking the same meds every day and I just didnt think.

I feel pretty awful last night and I had a drop which made me shake and sweat very badly, my eysight was really bad too ( doesnt help that I am blind as a bit normally). Usually I would eat something to bring my levels up but when I tried I just wanted to vomit. I cant believe that things would have happen that quickly or was it just a coincendence. Anyway decided I would go to bed and when I woke this morning I felt fine and have been all day today, thank goodness.

hi

I have been on byetta since last year and it has worked wonders . I did have nausea for about a month and am very fortunate that Barnet prescribes it. My blood sugars are at 6.1 and used to be 8 or 9 .

I unfortunately seem to be resistent to the wieght loss element of it and am 15 stones. My doctor has recommend a by pass, as they say it mystertly makes your diabetes disappear.

I am also taking alot of other drugs such as metformin and glyzerside simitstatin and divan do howevere feel nauseas from the cocktail,

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi rukhsana.
Welcome to the forum.

You might need to give the Byetta a little help....try reducing your carbohydrate intake each day and see if it helps ? When I started Byetta it definitely needed that extra help to get going.

When you say your GP mhas recommended a by-pass....? What sort of bypass ? Are we talking about a gastric band ?

FordPrefect

cugila said:
Hi rukhsana.
Welcome to the forum.

You might need to give the Byetta a little help....try reducing your carbohydrate intake each day and see if it helps ? When I started Byetta it definitely needed that extra help to get going.

When you say your GP mhas recommended a by-pass....? What sort of bypass ? Are we talking about a gastric band ?

I saw on wikipedia that there is a claim that a gastric bypass will "cure" type 2 diabetes.

hourman

Hi all, my first time on here. Was actually looking through the net for more info on Byetta as I've been taking it for about four months now with my Metformin and Glicazide, personnaly I think its **** as ! Its not reducing my Sugar Levels from around just under the 20's with a very rare 8-11 and although I dont get the nausea, I was already losing weight prior to Byetta, I believe its causing constipation and acting against my water tablets for my heart condition!Getting rather diccouraged.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi hourman.
Welcome to the forum.

As for Byetta being cr*p ? There are many users on here who are absolutely thrilled with the results from using it. So, forgive me if I seem a little puzzled.... :?

Can you give us some idea of your diet since using Byetta. 20 mmol/l is horrendous, even the 8 - 11 is bad ! I also take Diuretics for a heart condition and have no problems with the Byetta interacting. Not something I have heard of before, but I suppose there is always a first time ?

MrSmith12

I just want to let you guys know, there are countless law suits in the USA against Byetta and Byetta may be partly responsible for giving my father cancer of the oesophagus.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi.
As there are over 1,000,000 users of Byetta in the United States alone and an unknown number as yet here in the UK do you know what the number of lawsuits are that are pending ? As far as I understand it it was the Pancreatitis that was the problem ? Yes there were deaths but do we know the numbers ?

There have been rare, spontaneously reported events of acute pancreatitis. Patients should be informed of the characteristic symptom of acute pancreatitis: persistent, severe abdominal pain.
If such pain is present then Byetta should be stopped and immediate medical assistance sought.

I am sorry to hear about your father and his Cancer, but am a little puzzled about the link between the Byetta and his Cancer of the Oesophagus. I only know of a link between that Cancer and overweight people. Do you have any further information as this would help with my research ?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

cugila said:
As far as I understand it it was the Pancreatitis that was the problem ? Yes there were deaths but do we know the numbers ?
Actually Ken the figures are known, at least up to October 2008, and are available in the public domain. At that point there had been 30 deaths among patients on Byetta, all of them from acute pancreatitis. However, 27 of these already had damage to the pancreas as a result of drug or alcohol abuse, or resulting from gallstones and therefore should never have been prescribed Byetta. The remaining 3 deaths can only be attributed to Byetta usage. That means there were 3 deaths attributable to Byetta out of 700,000 patients on the drug at that time (0.004%). The national average of deaths from pancreatitis is 1.15%. This would seem to indicate that your chances of suffering from pancreatitis are a great deal less on Byetta than they would be if not taking Byetta!

Since October 2008 there appears to have been 8 further deaths from pancreatitis in Byetta patients, but there is no information as to whether these patients also had other underlying problems.

There are hundreds of US law firms constantly advertising for people to come forward so they can sue Eli Lilly for "causing" the death of a loved one. In how many such cases has judgment been found against Lilly? None!! That apart I find it interesting that lawyers will only target the drug manufacturers, not the doctors who wrongly prescribe the drug. It's rather like the victim of a car accident suing the car manufacturer for causing the accident instead of the driver!

tizzzzy

Hi,
After using Byetta since 31/03/09, and having experienced the normal nausea, weight loss, feeling of fullness etc, I seem to have passed the feeling of nausea and unfortunately have also regained my appetite which has resulted in a weight gain of 4lbs in 4 weeks. I realise the weight gain is my own fault, I'm back to eating rubbish and a lot of it. I just wonder have others experienced this, and is there any hope for easy weight loss again, or am I back to dieting and feeling hungry again.

Regards Tizzzzy

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi tizzzzy.

I think you now realise that the changes to your diet that you made and which helped the Byetta are not just for a few months....they are for life. If you start eating the rubbish again even Byetta is going to struggle.

It is a lifestyle change in your food habits. It is for the rest of your life so you need to get it right.

tizzzzy

I've found this site very useful - http://www.diabetesexplained.com/byetta.html. I'm sorry I'm not sure how to do links, maybe someone will convert it for me, else just copy into search engine.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi tizzzzy.

Had a look at the site after travelling a roundabout route.

Whilst there is some good information there it is not by any means up to date. Please check back here for correct up to date info. :D

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Dennis

Hello from Tenerife! - am thinking of you all! Dennis you just mentioned about problems with the pancreas if it had been damaged by gall stones - had my gall bladder removed in 1983 is there any chance that could be a problem for me? Do hope not now that I am getting more settled.

Bye for now Jude

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Jude.

Dennis not here at moment. I shouldn't worry too much. You seem to be doing alright so far ?

Just bear this warning in mind:
There have been rare, spontaneously reported events of acute pancreatitis. Patients should be informed of the characteristic symptom of acute pancreatitis: persistent, severe abdominal pain.
If such pain is present then Byetta should be stopped and immediate medical assistance sought

AS Dennis said, there are more lawyers involved in this in the States than you could think of. The risk is only that, a risk. Not a certainty.