Do you grow your own or have a Allotment

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone Does anyone have an Allotment or grow your own greens /fruit etc We have been growing some of our veg in raised beds in the back garden The veg cabbage /lettuce/ pea's/ and more taste so much nicer to be able to go out and pick your tomatoes lettuce and cucumber is so nice But Sept we got our allotment after 2 and half years it is 70ft x 20ft and not been dug for a couple of years but we are getting it done Plus gives me some exercise Do you like to grow your own

Reactions: 2 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got 3 of them - all acquired in April this year in a village initiative which has now turned what was part of a farmer's field into plots.

It's been great fun, quite exhausting at times, but a marvellously useful way to stay fit and, far more importantly for us, lose weight.

Don't worry about surpluses, just go ahead with growing as well as you can (I managed to sell £100 worth of my extra onions, carrots, spuds and beetroot, to work colleagues (all at market prices) for our village's Make a Wish charity appeal this September/October and I still didn't satisfy the demand).

I could go on for hours about successes and failures with the various crops but I'll leave it at that and wish you all the very best in your new acquisition.

Regards,

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2131tom Think this may be good as a thread it's food and exercise which is all good for diabetic's I love talking about growing stuff I had 14 tomato plants this year everyone in the street had them and made some yummy tomato chutney We are having half a plot also in about a weeks time So do you go onto the allotments sites to have a chat with others Might try to groa a big onion this year take care

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had allotments in the past, but the allotments in this town aren't near enough to just walk a wheelbarrow up with tools. :(

Our garden is small but I have olives, figs, chilli peppers, blackberries, plus lots of chives, mint, tarragon, lemon balm, basil, oregano, thyme during summer.

This year I grew tomatoes, in previous years runner beans, globe artichokes, fennel, strawberries, aubergines, blueberries, rhubarb, sage, dandelions in a grow bag for salads, mache, frisee - just one or two kinds of things.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac WOW you did well shame there is nothing nearer for you

Reactions: 2 people