Dislikes
animal abuse
Hi Daphne, what is that?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@lynn007 the reason I asked was because I used to be on statins but was taken off them because they gave me dizzy spells.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok it was just a thought! I've never been on metformin so not sure whether that's what's causing it. Perhaps you should have a word with your GP or pharmacist to see if it is a side effect.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your fasting blood glucose levels are in the normal range as is your hba1c.
Do you test after the two hour time and when you feel dizzy, do you test then?

Sorry Nosher, I missed your reply.

Yes, I test at various times throughout the day, not just post-prandial, and I did test after I was diagnosed and found that my BG during those post-breakfast dizzy spells was 14-16. I was also quite hot and sweaty during those bouts too.

By experimenting with what I ate for breakfast and quite a bit of testing, I found (surprise, surprise) that breakfast cereals, even without added sugar, weren't at all good for me and the worst one was rice crispies, which gave me a reading of 18 on one occasion. Once I stopped eating those, my mid-morning BGs fell and have been under control, ever since.

My HbA1c and fasting BG haven't been bad for quite a while now and they've recently dropped again (although if I eat the wrong things I can still register an 11, 2 hr after the meal), as I've managed to sustain a bit of weight loss and do far more exercise. To be fair, they weren't that bad when I was diagnosed, but lowering them since has sorted out most of the symptoms I'd been having for a year or two beforehand.

I'm due back at the GPs later this week, for the results of my latest blood test, and I'm intending to see what he thinks I need to be doing, longer term.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry Nosher, I missed your reply.

Yes, I test at various times throughout the day, not just post-prandial, and I did test after I was diagnosed and found that my BG during those post-breakfast dizzy spells was 14-16. I was also quite hot and sweaty during those bouts too.

By experimenting with what I ate for breakfast and quite a bit of testing, I found (surprise, surprise) that breakfast cereals, even without added sugar, weren't at all good for me and the worst one was rice crispies, which gave me a reading of 18 on one occasion. Once I stopped eating those, my mid-morning BGs fell and have been under control, ever since.

My HbA1c and fasting BG haven't been bad for quite a while now and they've recently dropped again (although if I eat the wrong things I can still register an 11, 2 hr after the meal), as I've managed to sustain a bit of weight loss and do far more exercise. To be fair, they weren't that bad when I was diagnosed, but lowering them since has sorted out most of the symptoms I'd been having for a year or two beforehand.

I'm due back at the GPs later this week, for the results of my latest blood test, and I'm intending to see what he thinks I need to be doing, longer term.
You do spike quickly! You have a high intolerance to most carbs as I do. I spike very quickly but my hba1ac is normal.
My fasting blood glucose is normal. I spike then hypo. So I don't eat a lot of carbs. Sugars etc.
I am not diabetic. If you can see my links below have a read of the reactive hypoglycaemic forum. My story is in there. I think you will find it interesting.

Reactions: 2 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, Nosher. I'll have a good look at that later on. I've recently noticed I'm getting quite a few low readings (some <4) so I wonder if I'm similar.

Reactions: 2 people