Omnipod new user

Helenjmp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi been on omnipod for just over 3 weeks - love the omnipod but struggling to get my levels lower running about 11 - 14 used to running a lot lower. Just wondered after going on a pump how long it normally takes to get the range you want ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you done some basal testing?

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could take a while to get your basals right, I guess... Though presumably you've already tried upping them till you get to a more sensible level?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The following explains how to do a basal test:

http://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

You should ring your pump DSN and explain to them that your bg levels are running high, they'll likely advise you to increase your basal rates and give you guidance, if you've not got the book Pumping Insulin then I recommend you purchase it, it covers all this and much more.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Helen I'm on this pump too have you rung the company? Just they have nurses on 24 hour standby to help for anyone and to support tec issues wonder if that might help? I have used them and all my issues went away because my reading were high and it was the direct the site was placed for me

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes have altered it and set times of day differently to try and bring it down - I will get there eventually!
Hi Helen, glad you are being proactive by helping yourself it's good to hear :) Start with your night basals once they are right then the day will slot into place a lot easier for you. Always adjust your basal between 1 and 2 hours before the rise in blood sugar starts.
Do you have the book pumping insulin by John Walsh (Amazon) if not invest in it as it will be a life saver for you. It's known as the pumpers bible.

Do remember though Rome wasn't built in a day :)

Reactions: 2 people

Helenjmp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Helen, glad you are being proactive by helping yourself it's good to hear :) Start with your night basals once they are right then the day will slot into place a lot easier for you. Always adjust your basal between 1 and 2 hours before the rise in blood sugar starts.
Do you have the book pumping insulin by John Walsh (Amazon) if not invest in it as it will be a life saver for you. It's known as the pumpers bible.

Do remember though Rome wasn't built in a day :)

Thanks been to hospital today and adjusting again so will hopefully start to improve - will definitely get the book though thanks