ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Sorry for butting in but can I just ask where is the best place to buy the Xylitol from? I don't want to pay a fortune but don't want a rubbish product either. Thanks:)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for butting in but can I just ask where is the best place to buy the Xylitol from? I don't want to pay a fortune but don't want a rubbish product either. Thanks:)
I buy in my local health store at £2.50 for 250g. you may check online on amazon or ebay for cheaper options. I don't think they much differ in quality

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Healthy Supplies do a 1kg bag which works out at £2.25 for 250g, or £2.13 if you buy 3kg, but their 250g bag is £2.95. I don't know what shipping costs. Methinks we need a co-op to benefit from this sort of thing, buying in bulk and sharing it out. Unfortunately the shipping cost rears its ugly head since we're all over the place! So we must all move to the middle of the UK, which appears to be the beautiful Yorkshire Dales :)

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Is it xylitol that is toxic for dogs? I'd be too scared to have it in the house.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Is it xylitol that is toxic for dogs? I'd be too scared to have it in the house.
Yes it's xylitol. I didn't much like it anyway, and mixed it with Candarel. But I don't have a dog so it wouldn't matter to me.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it's xylitol. I didn't much like it anyway, and mixed it with Candarel. But I don't have a dog so it wouldn't matter to me.

What about cats? Never knew it had that effect on dogs,

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There was a warning on the packet that it is toxic for dogs, nothing about cats.
I believe xylitol is used in some 'sugar free' foods, so people with dogs need to check the ingredients when buying these.

Edit: I just had a look at the Sainsburys website, and on that there is a warning that Total Sweet (Xylitol) should not be fed to animals.
Looking around the internet there are bits saying that it is not known if xylitol is dangerous for cats, and another article saying it is likely to be more dangerous for dogs because they will usually eat anything they can get hold of.
So I probably wouldn't risk it if I had a cat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You can also buy it in Sainsburys. It is called Total Sweet, and costs £2.50 for a 225g packet.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some web pages with information about which species are sensitive to it, and cats apparently are fine. We had a thread with some of these links recently.

Robbity

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cranberry Cake

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/11/cranberry-cake.html

CRANBERRY CAKE.jpg

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
Made a curry last week, has 2 12 hour nights, so did it for speed.Not sure if it's low carb, but I'm sure the experts will tell me.
400g can chickpeas
Small can copped tomatos
1 small red onion chopped
6 mushrooms sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
300g pork mince.
Curry powder to taste. Simmer for 20 mins, was enough for 2 days for me.

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

But would it make my kids eat sprouts,though ,instead of throwing them under the telly!! :lol: :lol:
Sprouts are from the gods
I have finally tracked down the coconut oil - had to order it as I couldnt find it anywhere. I was also having trouble as apparently you can use it for for more than cooking - hair conditioner, and according to one reviwer on amazon, massage! lol I think I shall stick to trying these chocolate coconut squares.They sound delicious. Thank you. I am also trying to track down golden flaxseed to make the chocolate tray bake. Do you have to order it? I am not very good at working out the carbs on my recipes but when I have got that sussed I will post a couple of my favourites on here ......

Clairy
Tesco sell coconut oil in a spray bottle.You will find it with the regular oils.They do a chilli and a garlic oil spray as well.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sprouts are from the gods

Tesco sell coconut oil in a spray bottle.You will find it with the regular oils.They do a chilli and a garlic oil spray as well.

I've bought 1K each of Chia & Golden flax seeds + onion powder from Healthy Supplies online, but there's postage to add on. I think my bill was £16. ?? Which included the postage of approx £3. 50.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just been given this recipe for Peanut Butter Cups.... And I can't wait to try it!

Screen-Shot-2013-09-29-at-4.56.32-PM.png

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Peanut Butter & Marshmallow whey - Vanilla can be used in its place, although I'm going to try with Salted Caramel...
1 tablespoon peanut butter
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup almond milk
6 squares 85% Lindt (i.e. 60 grams)

Directions:

1. First, melt your chocolate in a bain marie (i.e. a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling watah).

2. As the chocolate melts, make the filling of your PB cups by mixing the rest of the ingredients together until you get a thick sort of batter (see pic to the left here). Try not to eat it all. You’ll be tempted, trust me. But mobilize some restraint, will you? Because the cups are worth it.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-29-at-4.57.19-PM.png

3. When the chocolate has melted, pour half of it between 6 muffin cups. Then, add a dollop of the filling on top and cover them with the rest of the melted chocolate.

4. Put them in the freezer for 30-40 minutes and then just ‘unmold’ them. It’s great using silicone muffin cups for the job because the cups come right off! You can get there here if you’re in the UK and here if you’re in the US

5. Anyways, after unmolding them… boom! you’re done!

Macros per Cup (out of 6): 123kcals, 9g protein, 4g carbs (out of which 2g is fiber so net carbs = 2g!!!!), 7g of healthy pb + cocoa fats

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been looking for the LC PIZZA made with almond flour, I think I saw it on this Forum a while ago, can someone help, please?