Can you eat bread on a low carb diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 30g carbs a day. I still eat half a Lidl roll as toast (4g carbs), and I still eat half a dozen home made chips sometimes, and I still eat 2 or 3 new potatoes, and I still eat a chip shop battered fish once a week. All within my 30g allowance. And all without spiking (or medication). It's called portion control. I don't believe in deprivation.

Reactions: 18 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat one Lidl roll every couple of weeks. If I'm going out and am not sure that there will be a low carb alternative for lunch I'll make a sandwich using one roll, at least that way I can keep a count on what I am consuming.

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am on 30g carbs a day. I still eat half a Lidl roll as toast (4g carbs), and I still eat half a dozen home made chips sometimes, and I still eat 2 or 3 new potatoes, and I still eat a chip shop battered fish once a week. All within my 30g allowance. And all without spiking (or medication). It's called portion control. I don't believe in deprivation.
"Deprivation" - exactly. We each have to find a way of eating that is sustainable for life. Too many rules and the instinct is to just give up completely.

Reactions: 12 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also feel that threads about Lidl protein rolls and any other carbs need to be shifted out of the Low Carb forum into Food Nutrition and

Rather than shifting threads daring to mention any Carbs out of this forum, it would be better to start a Zero Carb Forum to talk about no Carbs at all.

Reactions: 13 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally eat low carb, less than 50g per day and frequently have 2 slices of Livlife bread. In fact, I'm eating it most days for breakfast now as I've started a new full time job (after previously working from home) and cannot stomach anything other than toast very early in the morning. Carbs for today are 44g and that includes my 2 slices of toast and some low carb chocolate brownie.

Low carb is defined by it's name only. The quantity of carbs, not the type

Reactions: 11 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to test food with my meter.
Now I know what I personally can eat, that's what I do.
I only test new stuff now.
Generally, I'm not keen on processed foods, fresh is better, and I don't like a lot of fat, so I eat mainly unsaturated fat in moderation.

Beyond that, nothing is off.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my mind there is actually a distinction between the lenient lower carb carby diet and the strict low carb high(er) fat ketogenic diet - similar to the distinction between vegan and vegetarian.:wideyed:

As I see it including some high carbohydrate food in a (so called) low carb diet is encouraging people in that way of eating when the whole idea of a low carb diet for diabetics, as far as I'm aware, is to educate us to avoid the foods that are aggravating our condition. I can't see the logic in continuing to eat the foods that our bodies can't handle well. There seem to be a lot of people here now who don't wish to stick to a strict LCHF diet and I think this is actually quite confusing to new members, as we're getting regular questions about whether you can eat bread, cereals, etc on this diet. And it may be even more confusing when they may get conflicting advice regarding "acceptable" foods - we're sending out mixed messages. I'd like to see some way of easily clarifying things, but I don't necessarily think separate sub forums would be the way to go.

Quite honestly I don't think I would have got the information that helped me two years ago if I was joining the forum now.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey don't worry, I'm going to find a proper low carb forum where people don't eat bread and processed junk and call it low carb.

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

superwoman1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a person who loves bread being able to have the occasional Lidl HP roll stops me completely falling of the low carb wagon and sinking my teeth into an entire French baguette spread with half a pound of butter!

If you have such strong will power that you can never desire bread again I applaud you but personally the occasional substitute is what keeps me on the straight and narrow. It does not feed my cravings for the old bad stuff - quite the opposite.

I'm just human!

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, what's required, based on all the above, is an "eat to your meter" forum...

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Has anyone tried the Hemsley and Hemsley multi seed loaf made with squash and ground sweet chestnuts? Thought not. Can be classed as bread, but immensely low GI...

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are moderated forums, and it is up to the moderators to decide what is or isn't on topic.

Individual posters should not be able to dictate what can be discussed based on their own prejudices.

There are many different approaches taken to Low Carb, and people should be free to discuss these.

Reactions: 13 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, what's required, based on all the above, is an "eat to your meter" forum...

And a LCHF forum, plus a LC moderate fat forum, plus a LC Mediterranean diet forum, a LC occasional treat forum the list could be endless and we will end up with posters talking to themselves or to a select band of acolytes who share the same narrow views on what can or cannot be discussed.

Reactions: 11 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
As with so many of the nutrition queries, it really is as simple as 'eat to you meter'.

Not necessary for more forums - just common sense.

Reactions: 5 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my mind there is actually a distinction between the lenient lower carb carby diet and the strict low carb high(er) fat ketogenic diet - similar to the distinction between vegan and vegetarian.:wideyed:

As I see it including some high carbohydrate food in a (so called) low carb diet is encouraging people in that way of eating when the whole idea of a low carb diet for diabetics, as far as I'm aware, is to educate us to avoid the foods that are aggravating our condition. I can't see the logic in continuing to eat the foods that our bodies can't handle well. There seem to be a lot of people here now who don't wish to stick to a strict LCHF diet and I think this is actually quite confusing to new members, as we're getting regular questions about whether you can eat bread, cereals, etc on this diet. And it may be even more confusing when they may get conflicting advice regarding "acceptable" foods - we're sending out mixed messages. I'd like to see some way of easily clarifying things, but I don't necessarily think separate sub forums would be the way to go.

Quite honestly I don't think I would have got the information that helped me two years ago if I was joining the forum now.

Robbity

How can we make sure the information people get is the right information?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And a LCHF forum, plus a LC moderate fat forum, plus a LC Mediterranean diet forum, a LC occasional treat forum the list could be endless and we will end up with posters talking to themselves or to a select band of acolytes who share the same narrow views on what can or cannot be discussed.

The more people in a discussion, the better. It's the sharing of experiences that promotes learning from others and all-round progress.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP asked if bread could be eaten on a low carb diet. Simple answer is yes, course they can. A slice of bread is approx 15g of carbs. Well. If that's the only carbs they eat that day, it's low carb. Even with a few more carbs, it's low carb. If someone chooses to avoid bread that's fine but it's not what is being asked.

Reactions: 15 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
To me there are two things under discussion on the low carb forum. The first is a very low carb diet, this seems to generally discussed by people who have already experienced the benefits of reducing carbs.

Then there are the the posts by people who are or want to know how to reduce carbs. These are the people who, I think, might be scared of the idea of a future without a slice of bread but might come to it in time. Certainly almost the first thing other diabetics who use the eat well plate type diet say to me when talking about my way of eating is that it's too radical but they seem more comfortable with initially reducing their carb intake.

So maybe there should be two areas on the forum for low carbing - one for people who want to reduce their carb intake and another for those who eat very low carb already.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding this discussion really interesting. I have not tried to do LCHF but using my meter I found to begin with I could only manage about 50g carbs a day. For a short time I had to cut out all bread but then as my weight dropped and my blood sugars came down I found I could eat some bread. I had to re-evaluate once I had lost all the weight I needed to and was warned not to lose any more. BMI now 20. It was talk on this site about Lidl rolls and Livlfe bread that I found I could manage those. Yes I am still learning. Although I am finding what works for me I would recommend to any newcomer to look at LCHF as most newcomers are trying to learn how to control blood sugars and often trying to lose weight as well. As my latest HbA1c was 33 I do a lot more experimenting now but I wouldn't suggest trying some of the foods I now try to a newcomer. I still don't consider myself low carb but probably about 100g a day now.

Reactions: 5 people