Ketones monitoring

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

Does any of you monitor your ketones levels? If so how do you go about it? I want to ask my GP but not sure what to ask for. I am a bit worried about ketoacidosis as I am on few meds that have this listed as side effect and now going low carb, could this increase the chances of getting it ?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Ketostix mostly, but if I see anything that warrants closer attention then I use blood ketone strips to get accurate readings.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did u have to ask your doctor for the monitor?
I already had a monitor that does Ketones - Abbott Freestyle Neo. They would probably send you one for free if you go to their website. It's a blood sugar meter as well, you just use different strips for either glucose or ketones.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use ketostix for a quick cheap check but find them not to be too accurate (depends on how much water I've drank) For an accurate check I use a freestyle optium meter. My gp actually put the test strips on my repeat prescription a few weeks ago. It's definitely worth asking cos the strips aren't cheap!

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also use the freestlye optium meter as it can test for glucose or if you buy the Ketone test strips you can test for Ketones

The only drawback is the price of the ketone test strips they are extortionate at around up to £30 for ten strips. My GP wont prescribe these so I have to pay out my own pocket