Does beer and Diet Coke increase glucose levels

4myh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there,
Yesterday evening I had a half pint of beer and Diet Coke. After an hour my blood glucose levels were beyond limits. Any suggestions?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beer is pretty high carb - some of them are very high carb - so yeah it can raise your levels. Did you have the drink at home? If you were at a pub or restaurant it's also possible that they gave you regular coke in error.

4myh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Safi, we had it in a restaurant and yes may be they gave regular Coke in error

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard that it happens @4myh - might be worth mentioning you're diabetic in future so that they're a bit more careful.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what other posters have said in the past you could be wasting your breath asking for diet coke since some bars view it as a fad or choice and not a medical requirement. They just give you what's on tap. I would be safer not to drink it. Beer has been called liquid toast. This is sensationalism especially if you only had half a pint. It's when you drink several pints and then ask daft questions that you have a problem.

Reactions: 2 people

4myh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@ Squire, that's a good advice. Thanks, I am new to this forum and already started liking it!

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi there,
Yesterday evening I had a half pint of beer and Diet Coke. After an hour my blood glucose levels were beyond limits. Any suggestions?

I always insist on diet coke,

If for any reason I am not sure, I dip my little finger in it then do a BG test on it. If it is infact diet coke it will show a hypo reading.

PS I always carry my BG meter with me due to driving regulations

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the Coke is dispensed via a 'wunder bar' it is very easy, especially if the person behind the bar is busy, or doesn't really care, for them to give you full fat coke by mistake - if possible ask for a bottle or can of diet that way you can see exactly what they're trying to give you.

I think Lager is higher in carbs than real ale but I haven't done enough research/comparison tests to confirm this.......yet!

BTW I've found Gin and slimline tonic helps lower my BG

lunuka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Probably was regular coke. That's happened to me before and I felt sick as, then when I got home and tested it was 30+. That made me a lot more cautious.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the Coke is dispensed via a 'wunder bar' it is very easy, especially if the person behind the bar is busy, or doesn't really care, for them to give you full fat coke by mistake - if possible ask for a bottle or can of diet that way you can see exactly what they're trying to give you.

I think Lager is higher in carbs than real ale but I haven't done enough research/comparison tests to confirm this.......yet!

BTW I've found Gin and slimline tonic helps lower my BG
lager is generally quite a bit lower in carbs than real ale. I have found a bottled beer called marstons resolution low c, the c stands for carbs and it`s only 1.65g per 1/2 pint:happy:

4myh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The beer can does not state calories or carb details, I am searching but did not find it...