Ketones for over 12 hours now what do i do?

carol-anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up at 9 this morning with a very dry mouth and needing to urinate badly. I knew what was happening so checked my ketones on my blood metre my ketones were 5.7. So took my basal insulin and a larger dose of novorapid drank 4 pints of water. They started to go down to 1.9 so drank some more water. Then by 1pm i felt ill again checked my ketones and they were back up to 3.7. So again took novorapid and drank water, they started to go down again. I then had my dinner which i injected 12 units of novorapid thought that would do the trick. Then at 10.30 tonight i check my ketones and blood glucose and they are sky high my metre just reads high and my ketones have not gone so i have again taken rapid insulin and my night time basal insulin. I am a bit worried as it has never lasted this long before. Should i go to the hospital or just wait till the morning as im supposed to be working in the morning, any one with advise would be greatly appreciated.

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you know why your levels are so high? Is there a chance your insulin may not be working as well as it could (eg out of fridge too long, bent needle etc?)

I've been advised in the past to continue eating small amounts with correct insulin doses if possible as ketones are produced in excess when your body is only breaking down body fat for energy instead of carbs from food, and this could be made worse if you are only drinking water for long periods.

Had your ketones come down at all this evening? If mine are very high it can take up to about 48 hours for them to get completely out of my system, but definitely watch to make sure they are coming down.

If I were you I'd speak to my HCP or call 111 if you're unsure. The last time I was in DKA I waited overnight convinced that I'd be fine and ended up with a trip to hospital in an ambulance and a 3-day stay. Also whether you go to hospital or not I maybe wouldn't risk work in the morning just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and let me know how things go. R x

carol-anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi rachel. Well i went to bed at 1 am after my ketones went to 0.3. I have got up this morning my blood glucose reading was 13.1 but my ketones have come back at 2.4 and i now have a sore throat, so i think there maybe an underlying problem so i am going to call 111 like you suggested and ask them what i should do.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi rachel. Well i went to bed at 1 am after my ketones went to 0.3. I have got up this morning my blood glucose reading was 13.1 but my ketones have come back at 2.4 and i now have a sore throat, so i think there maybe an underlying problem so i am going to call 111 like you suggested and ask them what i should do.
At least your Ketones are heading in the right direction. There's a good sick day rule flow chart here: http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

This might help you to understand what you need to do.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Good to hear the ketones have come down. Sounds like you may have an infection/illness pushing the blood sugar up in the presence of ketones due to fat burn.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with Daibell it's illness that sends blood glucose loopy.

Hope you're feeling better today ? ;)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hope those ketones are clearing as they are really scary! Are you feeling any better?

manus888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I woke up at 9 this morning with a very dry mouth and needing to urinate badly. I knew what was happening so checked my ketones on my blood metre my ketones were 5.7. So took my basal insulin and a larger dose of novorapid drank 4 pints of water. They started to go down to 1.9 so drank some more water. Then by 1pm i felt ill again checked my ketones and they were back up to 3.7. So again took novorapid and drank water, they started to go down again. I then had my dinner which i injected 12 units of novorapid thought that would do the trick. Then at 10.30 tonight i check my ketones and blood glucose and they are sky high my metre just reads high and my ketones have not gone so i have again taken rapid insulin and my night time basal insulin. I am a bit worried as it has never lasted this long before. Should i go to the hospital or just wait till the morning as im supposed to be working in the morning, any one with advise would be greatly appreciated.
I was told by the diabetes doctor that your blood sugars go up at night cuz of you hormones , mine in the morning is 12.4, 11.8, 10.2, lunch time 7.8, 7.3, 7.4, dinner 8.4, 8.2, 11.4, bed time 12.4, 10.8, 9.3. My meter is not the best but the doctor said that she was happy but gave me a table to take as well as the the insulin??????? James David MC Manus.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was told by the diabetes doctor that your blood sugars go up at night cuz of you hormones , mine in the morning is 12.4, 11.8, 10.2, lunch time 7.8, 7.3, 7.4, dinner 8.4, 8.2, 11.4, bed time 12.4, 10.8, 9.3. My meter is not the best but the doctor said that she was happy but gave me a table to take as well as the the insulin??????? James David MC Manus.
This is a very old thread. You might want to start a new one.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

I hope you suffered no ill effects from swallowing the table lucky no chairs were prescribed as well though :D

Reactions: 2 people

carak1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1

If you have keytones above 1.5 should be forwarded to a medical professional. Ypu could go into Dka. Obviously you have sorted this issue out due to post being a few days ago. This is the protocol I've worked with I also work on a diabetes ward in a hospital and is the protocol we follow. Hope this helps for future reference