Rough week, honeymoon over?

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a really depressing week with the big D, since diagnosis over a year ago I've gradually dropped my A1c down to 5.5, really good control and really nice numbers until a couple of weeks ago when things started climbing. I used to inject 6 lantus at night and 1 unit per 7 carbs of novorapid.

I'm now taking 16 lantus at night and injecting 1 unit per 3 carbs.

Went to bed last night at 6.5 and woke up this morning at 10.9 :(

It's really messing with me, I was only in double figures a handful of times last year and now it's a daily thing :(

To top it off the docs phone and want to re do a blood test from last week due to a high cholesterol and liver function test result :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey deep breath - or take a few and relax...

Don't worry about the numbers, we all go through this, rising numbers can mean a few things, illness, ratios need adjusting, basal needs increasing. A different season i.e. Winter can also mean a change in insulin ratios. Sometimes these things can all come at once, but remember it's a blip so just take it in your stride and put it down to experience, there will be a reason why and you will learn what that is, it's all a case of learning more about how you manage your type 1.

I've certainly learn't to do this, I remember Noblehead telling me to relax last year when I was getting in a tiz and since then i've relaxed alot about the high numbers, sadly for me with hormones I can easily get high numbers for about 2 weeks in a month, the rest of the month I sit quite happily below 10mmol/l, as long as I take action and am doing what I need to do to correct or adjust my basal then i'm doing the best I can do.

Reactions: 12 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great work so far but as Juciyj said you should try and just take a breath and relax.

A couple of high numbers like that is not the end of the world. If you can keep your average in a sensible range then a few high numbers or a couple of days with things slightly off whack is not going to be a problem in the grand scheme of things. If it helps try to consider what having say a figure of 20 is on just one day out of the whole year. Kind of puts it all in perspective I think.

Essentially you need to deal with each number as it comes up, adjust if you need to and then move on. Numbers that were high in the past are done, learn from the data you have around those numbers and try to stop them happening again. You will never get it right first time especially if you are coming off honeymoon or are possibly getting ill.

Look after yourself and do what is right by the numbers you see and the rest will attend to itself. Getting worked up and stressed about it all will probably just make your numbers go even higher (least stress does for me at any rate) say take a breath, have a wee glass or wine or carb free tipple of your choice, and go on with life. Despite everything it's still a pretty good life on the whole I think :)

/A

Reactions: 9 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, it's just really hard when you think you've got everything dialled in then boom everything changes!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys I appreciate the help, it's just really hard when you think you've got everything dialled in then boom everything changes!
Unfortunately it does happen. I see my basal rates change a couple times a year and my bolus ratios also seem to change every now and then. The key is to log everything properly and review your data, that way you can see the trends and make changes to get things back in line fairly quickly.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Injected 18 lantus last night at 7.5, woke this morning at 9...

Getting closer, gonna try 20 tonight, I'm really looking forward to that burn :(

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget to leave a couple of days between changes, especially with your lantus. I was told to make a change, monitor for 3 days & review before the next change. Saves you overshooting.

Has worked well for me.

Reactions: 4 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget to leave a couple of days between changes, especially with your lantus. I was told to make a change, monitor for 3 days & review before the next change. Saves you overshooting.

Has worked well for me.
+1 On this.

One of the reasons why I was glad to move to Levemir from Lantus. Did a whole thread about it a few years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 for about 2 and a half years. I stopped honeymooning about 10 months after diagnosis and I must say it's like starting all over again.
For me personally I found when I was in the honeymoon period everything was much more forgiving in terms if what I ate and it was coping with the random hypos I found hardest.
I found my basal hasn't needed so much tweaking but I found readjusting my carb to insulin ratios really frustrating, it seemed to change on a day to day and week to week basis.
Like everyone says just found I had to be meticulous with recording and testing and now I seem to have settled into a better routine. But for me it was the hardest transition so stick with it and I'm sure you'll get back to a more predictable regime soon. Good luck.
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Injected 18 lantus last night at 7.5, woke this morning at 9...

Getting closer, gonna try 20 tonight, I'm really looking forward to that burn :(
That sounds too fast @britincali. Basal changes take a few days to work. Don't take risks. Wait at least three days between raising basal doses, I would. Can you not lean quite a lot on correction doses? Extra exercise?

It may be something temporary. Have you checked teeth and gums? They're the usual culprit for hidden infections that push up BG. It must be something specific. Makes no sense otherwise. Good luck tracking it down ...