Sweet Tooth

Claireb5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi :)

I was diagnosed with T2 almost 2 years ago and whilst I'm a lover of just about all foods, I was definitely more savoury than sweet. That's all changed since my diagnosis and crave more sweet things. I also drink loads of milk. Has anyone else found their tastes change in this way?

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi :)

I was diagnosed with T2 almost 2 years ago and whilst I'm a lover of just about all foods, I was definitely more savoury than sweet. That's all changed since my diagnosis and crave more sweet things. I also drink loads of milk. Has anyone else found their tastes change in this way?

Yes and No.

Yes, I was always more into savoury food than sweet. It's really annoying therefore, when HCPs make assumptions and tell me not to eat biscuits. I don't buy cookbooks aimed at people with diabetes, because again, it all seems to be low sugar desserts and cakes.

No, I haven't craved sweet things but I think that's entirely poss, as in 'you don't miss it until you can't have it' - I miss rice.

With the milk, you could switch to lactose free which is lower in carbs or to an unsweetened milk alternative. The carbs in milk can add up, if you drink a lot of tea. For coffee, I suggest cream instead of milk or creamer.

I quit milk this summer and though I didn't intend to lose weight, I did. I drink unsweetened organic soy milk or unsweetened organic hazelnut milk, and have herbal teas and coffee, black. I was surprised to lose an inch off my waist in two months.

Claireb5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply. I don't drink a lot of tea or coffee but I do like to drink large glasses of milk, sometimes this is the only thing that will quench my thirst!

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely yes. I couldn't even bake when I didn't have diabetes! Now look at my blog, madness:eek:

clementi1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have an exceptionally sweet tooth now, also crave fizzy drinks which I did not before. So hard to stick to eating the correct thing.

chocky58

I was diagnosed with t2 after a kidney transplant 3 years ago. Since then I can't tolerate bananas for some reason! I used to LOVE bananas but after diagnosis, I just felt so ill after eating them, I don't bother any more.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply. I don't drink a lot of tea or coffee but I do like to drink large glasses of milk, sometimes this is the only thing that will quench my thirst!

I wish I could , I love milk , does it not spike you.............

Cause it sounds like it does... ie quenching your thirst...........

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
Have an exceptionally sweet tooth now, also crave fizzy drinks which I did not before. So hard to stick to eating the correct thing.
Same here I miss my chocolate cakes and biscuits, I gave up smoking 2 years ago I don't drink but I miss my sweeties omg it so hard so I can relate to that.

Claireb5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been for my annual review and my Hba1c is down to 57 (7.2) woo hoo! :) I've lost a stone, cholesterol is down. Blood pressure, liver, kidneys and thyroid all good too. Forziga has definitely made the difference for me :)

Reactions: 5 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Same here I miss my chocolate cakes and biscuits, I gave up smoking 2 years ago I don't drink but I miss my sweeties omg it so hard so I can relate to that.
There are lots of recipes for sugar free cakes and biscuits - I made @ewelina's peanut butter cookies which are really good. I'm going to have a go at making a cake soon. I get Sula sweets which are good.

Emma1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I agree, I crave sugar like mad! And milk.... Ahh milk... milkshakes..... mmmmmmm. Don't give in though, even though you enjoy it, its not good for you. Or do what I do, 1 day a week I have 1 meal of whatever I choose. Though I don't usually go sugarific I do let myself have a chocolate bar, albeit its only a tiny one compared to a nice slab of dairy milk lol.

My weightloss so far is 5 1/2 stone and my recent HbAic is 53.... but the weightloss isnt drug or diabetes related and I seem to have stalled lol!

Reactions: 6 people