Dentist

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you go to the dentist for the first time and tell them that you're diabetic, how much information do they require and does it have any affect on their decision to treat you for a root canal/tooth extraction?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was more concerned if I had blood pressure tablets. Never had a real problem with diabetes.

jopar

They don't need a lot of information concerning your diabetes, I think if I remember rightly I was asked about medication I was on, and how well controlled I was..

As to treatment, they do use a different injection for numbing, one without a steroid, there are procedures they may send you to the hospital clinic for, such as wisdom teeth extraction, but saying that you don't get charged at the hospital.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Having type 1 diabetes has no bearing on their ability to treat you, it's a case of saying you have it and it's well controlled and you take insulin.

Personally I have found in regards to dental work maintaining good blood glucose limits the opportunity for tooth infections to occur as when mine have been uncontrolled i've had dental infections and the 2 are closely linked, another reason why keeping a check on your BG is essential for dental hygiene.

Another aspect connected to your oral hygiene is that people with diabetes are more likely to suffer gum recession so keeping regular hygienist appointments are vital as well as good dental day to day care.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When you go to the dentist for the first time and tell them that you're diabetic, how much information do they require and does it have any affect on their decision to treat you for a root canal/tooth extraction?

Just tell them you have type 1 diabetes and any other medical conditions that you may have, they'll ask for a list of drugs that you take and may even ask what your diabetes control is like, but apart from that you should be fine to have normal dental work done.

Smile.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on antibiotics for a suspected dental abscess and wisdom tooth trouble. I finish them right before I go on holiday for 10 days - will the pain come back immediately after I stop taking the antibiotics or do you think it will hold out for the duration of the holiday?