Denied test strips

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had my first diabetic nurse check up at my doctors surgery. I was diagnosed type 2 back in March and asked at the time if I could see what I could do on diet alone. I've been on a very low carb diet and done well dropping the Hba1c level from 63 to 49. losing over 2 stones and returning my liver enzyme levels to normal after being off the scale for years.
My husband is type 1 and had quite a few excess testing strips so I've been using those and his spare testing kit to learn what spikes my BG.
I've now used up his surplus so asked the nurse today if i could have my own. The answer was a resounding NO. we don't encourage type 2's to test.
She agreed that I was well in control but wouldn't budge on the strips.
Is there anything I can do about this or if I am going to have to buy them , where is the best/cheapest supply available please ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Daisy
you will have an uphill battle on your own -- this might be cheating the system but i would suggest getting your husband to ask for additional strips per month( 50 per month would help)and then buy an extra 50-100 to supplement( depending on your needs )
as he is type 1 he should get them without any issue

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had my first diabetic nurse check up at my doctors surgery. I was diagnosed type 2 back in March and asked at the time if I could see what I could do on diet alone. I've been on a very low carb diet and done well dropping the Hba1c level from 63 to 49. losing over 2 stones and returning my liver enzyme levels to normal after being off the scale for years.
My husband is type 1 and had quite a few excess testing strips so I've been using those and his spare testing kit to learn what spikes my BG.
I've now used up his surplus so asked the nurse today if i could have my own. The answer was a resounding NO. we don't encourage type 2's to test.
She agreed that I was well in control but wouldn't budge on the strips.
Is there anything I can do about this or if I am going to have to buy them , where is the best/cheapest supply available please ?

The cheapest meter is the:- SD Code Free .......you can buy directly from home health uk

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

5 packs of strips promo code discount 264086
10 packs code discount..975833

Reactions: 4 people

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. That will really help. I don't test that often. probably only twice a day, but do like to know if certain foods spike my BS. I have discovered that even one spoonful of basmati rice is a no no for me :(
I'd like to add some fruits and maybe porridge. I asked the nurse that is these did spike me and I was only having a six monthly check, it would be a bit late then to say.. oh well perhaps I shouldn't have had those ?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tell them you drive for a living ;) , my DN insisted I test regularly , with which I heartily agreed...............

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are so blinded by the fact that they are the 'professionals' that they cant see how beneficial it is for T2s to have access to test strips.

Reactions: 6 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Exactly

I was given a meter and a few strips on diagnosis and given a testing regime to follow.

When I went back for my first review I was told my HbbA1c had dropped to "non- diabetic levels" and told to stop testing in no uncertain terms. It had gone from 107 to 37.

However, I had actually been bought a code Free meter even before the diagnosis was confirmed and had been following LCHF principle since my initial appointment, following the advice on here, and when she asked how I had achieved such a reduction in 3 months I was able to say "basically, by ignoring everything you told me.."

A strategy I have continued to follow since....

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly

I was given a meter and a few strips on diagnosis and given a testing regime to follow.

When I went back for my first review I was told my HbbA1c had dropped to "non- diabetic levels" and told to stop testing in no uncertain terms. It had gone from 107 to 37.

However, I had actually been bought a code Free meter even before the diagnosis was confirmed and had been following LCHF principle since my initial appointment, following the advice on here, and when she asked how I had achieved such a reduction in 3 months I was able to say "basically, by ignoring everything you told me.."

A strategy I have continued to follow since....

Love it ! :)
LCHF works really well for me and all I've ever been told by my doctor is "It's a fad diet" They are still pushing low fat and I have even advised I eat just the white of the egg and chuck the yolk !

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I used to get 50 strips a month and now that's been stopped. I have a code free meter and now buy my strips

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar conversation with one of my DNs - when I asked for strips she told me as I was not on medication and well controlled she could not prescribe them however we then spent 5-10 mins discussing what effects different foods had on my BS and what I could eat and should avoid and even she admitted that it was ironic that she was asking questions that I could only answer because I tested!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF works really well for me and all I've ever been told by my doctor is "It's a fad diet" They are still pushing low fat ...

Next time anyone suggest that low carb is a fad diet tell them it was first usedto treat diabetics in the 18th century, and has been used regularly since then ...So some fad!! :D:D:D

I was lucky enough to be told by my GP when I was diagnosed to try the Atkins diet (for weight loss), which I didn't as such but after investigation and finding the forum went low carb instead. Mainly to shut my husband up who was insisting that Atkins (as had been practices by a gourmet eating friend) was too expensive! :wideyed:

Robbity

PS But the same GP was also truthful regarding type 2 testing: the practice manager won't allow them to prescribe test strips for us, and I think cost cutting is probably the main, but not often admitted, reason for refusal - whatever else they may say!

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Daisy.
Thats a bit harsh as you are relatively quite newly diagnosed and still finding your feet, with diet, meds and food consumption with spikes in BG.
I 'd speak to your doctor and ask them, "what happens if I 'm having a hypo, I can't test my levels and have to call an anbulance to go to hospital?". If they still won't issue them, put a complaint in about your surgery. They won't like that. But all else fails put it on your husbands prescription.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Kat.2008

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was recently diagnosed in October with type 1 and I have this problem every time I try order test strips from my GP. I have the same conversation with the receptionists I speak to saying I test too much (I only test before meals and if I feel unwell) and I should not be ordering as frequently as I am. Most of the time they tell me they have ordered them for me, I arrive at the pharmacy and no such order has been placed. Every time this happens!

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recently diagnosed in October with type 1 and I have this problem every time I try order test strips from my GP. I have the same conversation with the receptionists I speak to saying I test too much (I only test before meals and if I feel unwell) and I should not be ordering as frequently as I am. Most of the time they tell me they have ordered them for me, I arrive at the pharmacy and no such order has been placed. Every time this happens!
Hi Kat.
You have to make a complaint about the surgery. Its a black mark against them, especially when your type 1. It could well be the receptionist doing it deliberately. It might be cost a cutting thing as more are being diagnosed. You never know until you make the complaint. I have my yearly review soon, so I'm ready for the fight.