Sugars not in control and worried

Chappers1075

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I'm new to this forum, and wanted to hear some experiences from others already going through or gone through gestational diabetes with uncontrolled sugars, I'd like to be as prepared as I can for any possible outcome.

I'm 24 weeks, and was diagnosed at 17 weeks. Diet didn't work, despite being strict, I started on metformin 500mg twice a day, then doubled that a week later, and with sugars still not controlled, including high fasting readings, I've been on insulin for about 10 days, and already had that dose increased. My long lasting before bed (levimir) is now 2 units and fast acting (novorapid) is now 3 units before breakfast.

I am pretty consistent in breakfast choice with 2 slices of wholemeal toast (ensuring brands where the sugars per slice are as low as possible), what is confusing me, is that some days my readings are within tolerance and days like today I had 8.4 by eating the same thing.

My scan last week shows baby's tummy is already at 97th percent on the chart and midwife says we cannot let it get any bigger.

I'm currently overwieght, and was when I became pregnant, and despite a difficult first trimester where I ate more than I ever have in my life, during second trimester I've controled my weight so I've actually lost 3lb and not at all gained. Overall gain is now around 6-7lbs for pregnancy so far.

I'm worried that if I eat any less I will lose more weight which I'm not sure is ideal, and also I'll just be too hungry.

I'm also starting to now get concerned about the impact on my baby, and would welcome to hear any stories about anyone being in a similar situation and what happened next?

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Type 1 not gestational diabetes, but I wanted to say that you've not been on insulin long. Your dose may need to be increased but they tend to start you off on a lower dose and increase if necessary. So it could be your control will improve soon as your dose is perfected.

Have you seen a dietician for advice about what to eat now? Eg how many carbs you should have a day? Do you also take fast acting insulin before other meals? What are your blood test results like and how often do you test?

Exercise can help control blood sugars and improve the body's reaction to insulin. If it's ok with your doctor, something like walking or swimming might be good. A walk after a meal can help control blood sugars. Always be careful if you're on insulin in case you have a hypo (test and take glucose tablets or sweets with you)

Whatever kind of diabetes you've got, a good tip is to keep a record of what you eat, your medication and your blood tests. That way you can see how diffent foods affect your blood sugar. It also provides useful info for your team.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Reactions: 6 people

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm Type 1 and have had two babies so know what you are going through with the sugars and worrying about babies size. As you progress in your pregnancy your insulin needs will get quite high. I found through out my pregnancies I could not eat bread, porridge was all I could have for breakfast without my sugars going mad. I also carb counted so I knew exactly how much insulin to take to keep them with in strict parameters. My carb ratios changed on a weekly basis for example for breakfast I went from 1 unit for 14g carb down to 1 unit for 1g. You have to be very strict with what you eat and test your blood sugars before and after meals so you can get a handle on what each food is doing to your blood sugar, its hard work but its worth it all in the end. I spent most of my pregnancies just above hypo level which is hard. My babies were 6lb 9 and 7lbs.

Reactions: 2 people

alisonbigbird

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, my partner has had gd through two pregnancies. First time she got thru on diet and exercise alone, second time she was on insulin quite quickly.

But both times, she was ravenously hungry all of the time and lost lots of weight - half stone lighter at 8mths than before pregnancy.

Both babies were delivered healthy at 38 and 37 weeks and mum loved her new svelte figure!

I dont envy you.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some posts in this thread have been deleted as low/no carb may not be appropriate in pregnancy. Also, the OP is on insulin.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @Chappers1075
How are you getting on?
I've had 2 diabetic pregnancies after been diagnosed with type 2.
How is the insulin taking progressing? Like it has been mentioned I too had to increase my insulin as the baby developed. The biggest job is avoiding the hypos. Have you had many and are you recovering well afterwards?
Hope your both well and enjoying your pregnancy (bump). :)

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had GD twice but it was well controlled with insulin both times. I did put on a lot of weight each time, but both babies were fit and well (although HUGE!) And soon stabilised after birth. Both were caesarian sections (because breech, not because of diabetes), 3 and 4 weeks early.

I felt well cared for during both pregnancies and I'm sorry you are so worried. Please ask for support from the clinic - they may well have more advice that's helpful.

The GD disappeared immediately on delivery and didn't reappear as 'proper' T2 for 5 years or so (about 12 years ago!!)

jopar

I was diagnosed with what turned out to be T1, at the same time I found out that I was about 7 weeks pregnant... So for me straight on insulin...

The regimes were different back then 1989, so can't really advise concerning regimes as I'd be out dated but would suggest if you can, to maintain a strict regime, so xxx amount at carbs at xx time of the day, back then it was 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day....

I had large babies all normal births

oldest 10lb10z non-diabetic pregnancy
second 10lb12.5oz diabetic
third 11lb13oz

As you can see not the greatest difference between the non-diabetic and diabetic weights, the difference between my first two and last one can be explained, first two I smoked I did manage to cut back to a couple a day, but still smoked through the pregnancy, my youngest I had managed to quit smoking...

All 3 were normal births, did have forceps for my first, she was early at 38 weeks, and the other two I was induced at 37 weeks...

How they monitor diabetic mums now is a lot different than when I had mine, no combined clinics when I had mine, so major issues insuring my medical records followed me to each clinic (learnt to pre-warn out patients I be back tomorrow and not to send my records back)

but they monitor well, so when it comes to weight loss, they will be able to work out whether any is impacting on the baby or it's just your weight you're losing... I lost weight with all my pregnancies, if you lucky enough to lose your own weight during the pregnancy, be very careful after wards so easy to put it all back on....

A little bit of reassurance here, my 3 are adults now and non-diabetic. my youngest had my second grandchild back in the summer, she was high risk diabetes on two score, I'm T1 and she carries a lot of excess weight but she was fine, her pregnancies went well and my grandchildren are fine....

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Some medical professionals have no idea how much they worry mums with this.

My third baby was officially GD. I was a runaway train on insulin and couldn't keep up.
My consultants kept telling me I must be fibbing on what I was eating - I wasn't.
As delivery loomed they insisted I would have to have a ceasar but I persisted in wanting a
v-birth. I was going through our Australian public health system and every consultant had a different idea.

Ultimately, they induced me a few weeks early once they decided bubby was getting "too big"
around the shoulders. Bub came in at just over 8 lb and she was not huge. She was not a hard
delivery, despite being induced and I had a great midwife who helped me not to tear as I had previously.

I hope everything is going well for you and we hear back from you soon.