Home HbA1c monitor

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I have been thinking about getting one of these. I have my HbA1c done every three to six months but would like to keep closer track of it. Does anyone have one of these and is it worth it?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have a code free monitor and has been my lifeline

Reactions: 2 people

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Not heard of home monitor for hba1c so is it expensive and who sells them

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think this would really help you to be honest.

If you have this sort of money 'spare' I would recommend getting a Continuous Glucose Monitor as they give a much clearer picture of what is happening with your glucose levels. Knowing your HbA1c will only give you a general picture, whereas a CGM can give you much more information about areas where you could possibly improve control, and if you can see you are keeping within your target ranges you know your HbA1c will be ok too.

Reactions: 3 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hib@postitnote I'm not sure if there is a meter but I think that @AndBreathe was looking into getting something similar however I'm not sure whether they did or not!

M

mrspuddleduck

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point (which is quite possible. :). ) but I don't understand why you would want one. You are already getting you hba1c done at the docs which gives you you're average for approx 3 months so when would you need to use it??

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Might be a waste of money:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.ca/2010/01/study-a1c-now-test-is-****-and-so-are.html

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used the kit @CollieBoy linked to, and it's pretty aligned to lab tests I've had done, which is great. I bought it from BHR Pharmaceuticals who were meaningfully cheaper than Amazon, but I don't see the kits listed at the moment. You could give them a call? They're a lovely business (I have bought from them twice).

I have also used the Abbot Freestyle Libre, but they are still working their way through a waiting list for new people.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently checking to see whether I can use the average of my readings to give me a reasonable indication of ongoing HbA1c, using the calculator at:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Not 100% scientific (as the readings can't be regarded as totally representative) but it'll be interesting to see how it compares with my lab results in a fortnight's time.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not 100% scientific (as the readings can't be regarded as totally representative) but it'll be interesting to see how it compares with my lab results in a fortnight's time.

Well, the results are in and my HbA1c is 42 (6%) compared to the 35 (5.4%) that my average readings suggested it might be. It also represents a leap from 6.0 to 7.0, in what the calculator suggests the average of the readings should be.

A bit disappointing I think, but I shouldn't have been surprised, given the likelihood that my readings were going to be less than representative of a true average.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
It could be a useful tool for parents or many of us who are control freaks or just plain diabetic anoraks Watch the market other devices will become available and the price will come down.
If I bought one I would want to test monthly but the cost per test would need to be in the less than £10 range.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm with @BeccyB - I'd go with a CGM or Libre. Much more useful in every day life and can give you a fairly good estimate of what your Hba1C will be.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be a useful tool for parents or many of us who are control freaks or just plain diabetic anoraks Watch the market other devices will become available and the price will come down.
If I bought one I would want to test monthly but the cost per test would need to be in the less than £10 range.

Diabetic anorak, who's that lol. I could be one, I'm a diabetic data junkie anorak.

The best devices are the most accurate or representative of your actual hba1c, I use accu chek aviva. Taking between 5-7 tests daily, i predicted my hba1c as 6.27%, real result 6.2% and mysugr app predicted 6.3%.

When i was prescribed a Carsens meter it was way off by around 0.3%. Do enough blood tests then you can predict quite accurately but that depends on meter accuracy.