Type 2 Low carb sleep problems

flossymartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been low carbing for several months now and have noticed I keep waking up about 4/5am and am wide awake then.I read for about one hour and then can sometimes get back to sleep but not always .Last night I had scampi. .which is quite high carb for me and then I had my best nights sleep for a long time !!Is there any connection to having a bit of carbohydrate before bed and sleeping better ?? Obviously I don't want to increase my carbs as this will raise my sugars but I can't think of any other changes last night that should improve my sleep quality as it did .

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could just be a coincidence or the tiredness may have built up and your body thought enough is enough and you got a good nights sleep. Only time will tell.

flossymartin05

Yes thanks the tiredness could have caught up with me .More to the point I wonder if anyone's sleep patterns have altered since going low carb ?? Maybe at the ripe old age of 55 it's just old age creeping in!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you taking statins - I found that I didn't sleep very well when I was on them.

flossymartin05

Yes I am taking statins but have been for 3yrs .The sleep issue seems to have only started in the past few months .I am , after reading the issues with statins thinking of reducing them and seeing what difference they make to my next blood results .My cholesterol is 3.5 ...but since starting stains I have gone from being well controlled on diet alone to now definite type 2 with my HbA1c going from 48 to 64 .

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately I have had sleeping issues for the past 33 years so I really wouldnt know.if going LC would affect sleeping. If you really want to test it out you could possibly have another meal of scampi and see if you have another good nights sleep, it.might be the only way to test the theory. Also if I eat too many carbs it makes me feel really tired so it could be a matter of carb overload.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a 'well known' association between strict low carbing and sleep disruption.

I say 'well known' because the only place i have seen it was when someone (possibly @Indy51 , since she is a font of amazing info) pointed me at non-diabetic low carb forums.

From what i read, these low carbers were saying that several months of strict LC may result in lighter, shorter, or disturbed, sleep. There was much debate on the solution.
Some said that the benefits of lc outweighed any piffling sleep issues.
Some said that a small 'dose' of carbs at bedtime would act like a sleeping tablet.
Some said that a small portion of carbs with evening meal would eliminate the problem.
Some gave up on lc completely, since the lack of sleep made their life unbearable. The wimps. ;)

I would speculate that if carbs do act as a soporific, then we may be actually needing less sleep if we don't eat them. Is it possible that we only need 8 hours when carbs drug us into unconsciousness, and that our sleep requirements shrink without the carbs? Do your current sleep pattern cause you sleep deprivation? If not, then i would just enjoy the extra reading time that lc has given you. :)

On the other hand, if you are blundering through your days like a sleep deprived zombie, then a few tests and behaviour changes might help...

I was experiencing some quite tortuously bad sleep at the time i found all this info out, but mine turned out to be a self perpetuating pattern of waking up at certain times - and a herbal sleeping tablet every few days for a couple of weeks broke the pattern. Which was a huge relief.

Reactions: 2 people

flossymartin05

That's interesting...Thanks .I haven't felt tired during the day mostly....A year ago I was napping in the afternoons as I was so tired after lunch.I. kind of just feel annoyed that I'm not sleeping through .I used to enjoy my lie ins too but now am raring to go at 7-30 am. and now my kids are at
University I don't actually need to get up then.....lucky me...I .know

flossymartin05

I have just googled it and yes it does seem relatively common. There seem to be lots of theories and suggestions ...but I don't think I will be taking honey or other suggestions before bed just yet .I was just interested in other people's ideas and experience s.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting as since I've been low carbing I don't seem to need so much sleep at all. Previously I had got to the stage where I really needed a nap most afternoons but with low carbing I have so much more energy and feel so much more awake. Have not needed an afternoon nap at all.
At night I am finding that I tend to wake after about 3 hours (possibly one or two complete sleep cycles) but am able to go back to sleep very easily for another 3 hours or so (if I don't use the alarm). I'm beginning to think that low carbing does actually mean you don't need the regulation 7 or 8 hours as I do not feel sleep deprived in the slightest.
A relative (non-diabetic) who eats heavy carb meals always falls asleep in the afternoon after lunch and again after his evening meal so I think the carb content is definitely what has the sleepy effect.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wake at about 3am for a wee and then again at around 6.30. If I don't have to get up, I then sleep until after 8. So I now get three sleeps and two or three sets of vivid dreams. I feel tired during the day about once a month, for no apparent reason. I no longer nap in the afternoons. It doesn't make any difference if I have a mid-evening snack or not. We are all different.