ScottyD
Reaction score

Profile Posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hey Scotty hope you are doing well !
    I know, this question has been asked a lot to you but,on recent news, a person with type 1 diabetes in Canada received his report, although he did not have a medical report before.I hope you saw this news.My question is, based on this news, do you think it will be possible for people who do not have a medical report to get their report for commercial flying in UK ?
    ScottyD
    ScottyD
    Hi Quarion,

When you say report, I take it you mean medical?
    Currently, you have to have held a medical already but I suspect that will change going into the future. If you read up on the UK CAA changing the rules on initial medicals for people with HIV, you could be optimistic in thinking the same will happen with insulin dependant diabetes.
    Hey Scotty I’m a type 1 diabetic and my dream is to be a commercial pilot is it possible for me to get a Category 1 medical or any category of medical certificate to be accepted as a commercial pilot. Thank you.
    ScottyD
    ScottyD
    Hi Sam. Are you in the UK? Currently, my understanding is that you need to have held a Class 1 medical before your diagnosis of T1 diabetes. That could well change in the future. I believe in the past, if you have HIV, you'd need to have held a Class 1 medical prior to diagnosis but that recently got changed. Best to speak to the UK CAA for 100% accurate information however!
    S
    Sam Ben
    Thanks for the reply Scotty, no I was diagnosed with T1d at the age of 10 now I’m 24 i wanted to pursue a career in aviation but unfortunately I’ve been stopped by my diabetes, I will contact the CAA and see. Thank you
    Hello Scotty im writing to you because I have urgent questions. The thing is that, my brother is currently taking his first flying certificate(In Spain, Madrid). this is his dream, but a couple of days ago, he found out that he has diabetes type 1...I've been trying to call everywhere to get information...can you tell me ANYTHING??
    ScottyD
    ScottyD
    Hi there. Sorry to hear about your brothers recent diagnosis. I hope he is coping well!
    First question would be to ask what country his medical certificate was issued from? Currently, in Europe, only the British, Irish and Austrians offer medical certificates for commercial flying.
    M
    michamedusa
    Hi...thanks....he is really frustrated but okay considered the circumstances. I've been giving him heads up, and from now on, he will control this page, and it will be him you are writing with. Just so you know. He will answer this within ten minutes. Thank you for your time, it means really much to me
    M
    michamedusa
    Hi ScottyD
    I am the brother who unfortunately has been developing diabetes.
    So I am currently doing my training in Madrid Spain, and I have my medical issued from here as well.
    Do you think it will be possible to get a medical certificate issued (converted too) from one of the countries you’ve mentioned and continue flying in Spain ?
    Hi Scotty, have you heard any update on using Freestyle Libre from CAA. I’m cabin crew, just done my annual medical renewal but advised I still have to finger prick onboard every 2 hours. Cannot find any info anywhere on CAA authoising the Freestyle Libre?
    ScottyD
    ScottyD
    Hi Magic1973. I still have to finger prick in accordance with the CAA diabetes protocol. They know about my Freestyle Libre and are happy for me to use it, but only to supplement the finger prick testing. I understanding that a trial in the future will be carried out comparing both CGM and traditional finger prick testing. This could pave the way for CGM being the main way of testing should the trial be successful.
    M
    Magic1973
    Hi Scotty, that’s fantastic news, fingers crossed the trial takes place as soon as possible and that it paves the way for onboard use of Freestyle Libre. I saw my AME last week, she advised CAA rather slow on updating things, but she’s hopeful too the Freestyle Libre is approved soon to follow DVLA.
    M
    Hi Scotty. Not looking at class 1 for commercial but even ppl seems impossible with passengers? Cannot find any up to date caa info other than nppl and single engine piston all solo being fine by them. With class 1 medical now ok for commercial, this cant be right!? Any chance you can point me in the right direction? Many thanks!
    ScottyD
    ScottyD
    Hi Michael - as far as I'm aware, Class 1 commercial operations are allowed with multi-pilot limitation (medical flight test in full motion sim has to be carried out). NPPL and PPL allowed (medical flight test done with CFI). The only item on my medical certificate stating 'NOT APPLICABLE' is single pilot commercial operations which is understandable.

Hopefully that helps?
    Hey Scotty, my name is Roman and I live in USA. Being a pilot has been my dream and currently, I'm looking into a possibility of getting my PPL and all of my ratings in US and maybe trying to find a job in Canada somehow. If you could give me some information that could help me figure out on how I should go about this, I would really appreciate it. Please send me a direct message bc I can't.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…