Type 1 £48 Penalty charge from the NHS

HelenaK1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello There:).

I have a little bit of a problem which I wonder if someone maybe can give me some advice about.
The other day I got a letter from the NHS saying that I've got a penalty charge to pay after I've prescribed something without a medical exemption certificate.. I'm from Sweden originally but have lived in London for the past 5 years and I have prescribed my insulin from here since about 3 years going back (before I use to travel back to Sweden to see my doctor and get my medications).
The penalty charge to pay is £48.30, I believe it was for the single use needles which I use on the insulin Pen (the prescription charge itself was only £8.05). I called the NHS to query about this as I am entitled to have these things without a charge and I have never before had any issues regarding it. When calling them they claimed that I didn’t have one of these medical exemption certificates, which I thought I did as I've been going to the doctors here for 3 years and prescribes insulin regularly but never got the question before and didn’t have a clue that I needed to apply for this. Now, I’ve sorted out the certificate, but apparently I still need to pay this £48.30 because I didn’t have it at the time when I prescribed the needles..
I'm just annoyed cause I was never told that I had to get this certificate, I thought that they would know that I am diabetic by going after my NHS number?.
Is there someone out there who knows who to contact or what to do to wave this penalty charge notice?, I just feel that it’s not really fair, at least the pharmacist could have advised me regarding this certificate before they let me prescribe the items.
Many Thanks, Helena

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been having free scripts for 10 years but I don't remember ever having filled-in a certificate form; it's all very confusing and I'm not sure what you can do for that charge

HelenaK1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, i guess i will just have to pay it...
I just don't really like what they are doing here.. There should be some kind of notice or someone to actually tell you about this, or at least give you a chance to wave the charge if its the first time and if you can confirm that you have applied for a certificate.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah, i guess i will just have to pay it...
I just don't really like what they are doing here.. There should be some kind of notice or someone to actually tell you about this, or at least give you a chance to wave the charge if its the first time and if you can confirm that you have applied for a certificate.

Just send a letter of appeal to them, you never know they might just waive the penalty charge if you make a convincing case.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi. I've been having free scripts for 10 years but I don't remember ever having filled-in a certificate form; it's all very confusing and I'm not sure what you can do for that charge
The difference is that you are retired, prescriptions are automatically free for the over 60's. Others have to have a certificate for medical exemption.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, sorry to hear of your problems.

There is a current thread running called ' Perscription fine', it may be useful to you.

Good luck RRB