1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prediabetes ‘Pre diabetes’ and cold hands! Is there any link?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Fluffyfred, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Fluffyfred

Fluffyfred Prediabetes · Active Member

Have developed cold hands in bed at nights for around 16 months. I’m now wondering if it could be connected to diabetes. I have only been diagnosed as ‘pre’ 3 weeks ago. I’m not on any medication but they ig to control my diet by low carb foods now. Any info will help , thanks

2. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Fluffyfred there are so many reasons for cold hands that it is difficult to link it to diabetes. However this is a popular finding on the forum but again for different reasons.

Lots of posts on this topic see

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/search/55324210/?q="cold+hands"&o=relevance

I lost 6 stone and got cold hands and feet. I think taking blood pressure medication has definately made me colder but I was too hot before.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Orangeteddy

Orangeteddy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have prediabetes too and since going low carb I have badly struggled to stay feeling warm. I never usually feel the cold but can only attribute this to the low carbing as I was ok before. Carbs are a source of energy and heat (so I understand) so I assume there is a link.
    Roll on summer!

4. spaceman

spaceman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well im a type 1 diabetic for last 6 years im the same cold feet.legs to my knees and hands are ice cold even with my electric blanket on

5. cristis

cristis Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My fingers get sometimes cold, but this happened to me for many years. It's said it's from the bad blood circulation.

6. She 2

She 2 · Newbie

7. She 2

She 2 · Newbie

I am pe diabetes aswell suffering for really cold hands. I also have raynards so could be that

8. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

There are suggestions that Raynaud's syndrome and T2 diabetes might be linked, but I've not come across any conclusive research yet.
    I wasn't diagnosed with Raynaud's although I had symptoms in my childhood and still suffer badly in the winter. My daughter was diagnosed in her early teens.
    It seems that diabetes might been a risk factor for Raynaud's, or the other way round?
    Not a brilliant link, but includes info to follow up?
    http://diseases.emedtv.com/raynaud's-phenomenon/cause-of-raynaud's-phenomenon.html

But there are other reasons why diabetics develop vascular issues, and controlling blood sugar spikes would help with those.

9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?
    one of the first things I experienced when put onto Thyroxine was the warm feeling in hands and feet.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook