Prediabetes ‘Pre diabetes’ and cold hands! Is there any link?

Fluffyfred

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have developed cold hands in bed at nights for around 16 months. I’m now wondering if it could be connected to diabetes. I have only been diagnosed as ‘pre’ 3 weeks ago. I’m not on any medication but they ig to control my diet by low carb foods now. Any info will help , thanks

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Fluffyfred there are so many reasons for cold hands that it is difficult to link it to diabetes. However this is a popular finding on the forum but again for different reasons.

Lots of posts on this topic see

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/search/55324210/?q="cold+hands"&o=relevance

I lost 6 stone and got cold hands and feet. I think taking blood pressure medication has definately made me colder but I was too hot before.

Reactions: Fluffyfred

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have prediabetes too and since going low carb I have badly struggled to stay feeling warm. I never usually feel the cold but can only attribute this to the low carbing as I was ok before. Carbs are a source of energy and heat (so I understand) so I assume there is a link.
Roll on summer!

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have developed cold hands in bed at nights for around 16 months. I’m now wondering if it could be connected to diabetes. I have only been diagnosed as ‘pre’ 3 weeks ago. I’m not on any medication but they ig to control my diet by low carb foods now. Any info will help , thanks
well im a type 1 diabetic for last 6 years im the same cold feet.legs to my knees and hands are ice cold even with my electric blanket on

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fingers get sometimes cold, but this happened to me for many years. It's said it's from the bad blood circulation.

She 2

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are suggestions that Raynaud's syndrome and T2 diabetes might be linked, but I've not come across any conclusive research yet.
I wasn't diagnosed with Raynaud's although I had symptoms in my childhood and still suffer badly in the winter. My daughter was diagnosed in her early teens.
It seems that diabetes might been a risk factor for Raynaud's, or the other way round?
Not a brilliant link, but includes info to follow up?
http://diseases.emedtv.com/raynaud's-phenomenon/cause-of-raynaud's-phenomenon.html

But there are other reasons why diabetics develop vascular issues, and controlling blood sugar spikes would help with those.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?
one of the first things I experienced when put onto Thyroxine was the warm feeling in hands and feet.