“Low carb diet doctor”

KirstyRobbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
hello,

So after a hba1c of 56 in January 2018, and falling pregnant ( treated with insulin whilst pregnant, and metformin after my birth 29/08/18 had to stop from an allergic reaction) I have just been to see the diabetic nurse after my 6 week post natal check, I broke down crying as the diagnosis really sent my anxiety through the roof . She said my most recent hba1c was 43 and was pleased with me, she said being at a younger age group I would be motivated and determined to get it lower and said after I’ve stopped breast feeding to try this “ low carb diet doctor” to try and lose a bit of weight. Has anyone tried this and with what results, also what’s the difference between this and the low carb one advertise on this group? Also with a result of 43 does that mean I am diabetic or not? I’m so confused.

Thank you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your initial HbA1c of 56 put you in the diabetic range, and that means you are diabetic. Although your latest HbA1c was 43 and in the pre-diabetic range, it doesn't mean you are no longer diabetic. It means you have done well and are controlling matters.

The diet doctor low carb website is brilliant. Many of us on here use it, and we recommend it to newcomers if appropriate.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

I can't comment on the low carb programme on our website as I've never tried it, but it does seem to have an awful lot of success.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever you do, eating fewer high carb foods than the disaster zone which is the modern supermarket diet is going to make a lot of difference to you.
I suspect that I have been diabetic or close to it for decades, but eating low carb kept it undetected, and undetectable, except when I was pressured into eating high carb diets to lose weight - like that ever happened but doctors think that they know better.....
I had to get to a Hba1c of 91 before it was picked up, and even then it was an accidental thing. You are not so far along the path - hopefully you never will be.
As long as you are sensitive to carbs - which could be for the rest of your life, they are not your friends.

Sarah111

hello,

So after a hba1c of 56 in January 2018, and falling pregnant ( treated with insulin whilst pregnant, and metformin after my birth 29/08/18 had to stop from an allergic reaction) I have just been to see the diabetic nurse after my 6 week post natal check, I broke down crying as the diagnosis really sent my anxiety through the roof . She said my most recent hba1c was 43 and was pleased with me, she said being at a younger age group I would be motivated and determined to get it lower and said after I’ve stopped breast feeding to try this “ low carb diet doctor” to try and lose a bit of weight. Has anyone tried this and with what results, also what’s the difference between this and the low carb one advertise on this group? Also with a result of 43 does that mean I am diabetic or not? I’m so confused.

Thank you.

Hello Kirsty, you have done really well. Earlier this year I was prediabetic with a reading of 42, (42 - 47 is prediabetic). My GP referred me to the X-pert Diabetes Prevention and Management Programme which I have just completed. Delighted to say I have followed a lower carb eating plan and now have a reading of 39. I have been ill recently so there is a chance when I'm tested next in 4 months time it will hopefully be lower. I can't recommend anything for anyone else but I can say the programme, LCHF way of eating has been great for me. I easily lost weight, no more falling asleep after a meal and energy greatly increased. I'm sure this programme has been much cheaper for the NHS than allowing me to become diabetic. Low carb certainly has been the way forward for myself and I know that many other people on the programme have also had great results!

Good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello,

Thank you.
Hi!

Quite a few people here follow the low carb route, and I think your nurse meant to direct you to the dietdoctor.com website, which is, without a doubt, absolutely brilliant. It's all about a low carb, high fat diet, and can make all the difference in the world. Your numbers do indicate that you are diabetic (sorry), but you got them down quite a bit already to the pre-diabetic range, and when adding low carb eating into the mix you'll hit the non-diabetic range soon. Meaning no complications or progression; hello remission!! I've been in the non-diabetic range for 2 years now, but make no mistake, I'm still a T2-in-remission: If I eat carbs, my numbers will shoot up. Happily though, I really enjoy the low carb diet, and that is key: enjoy what you eat, it'll help you to stick with the diet indefinitely. (It's really not so much a diet as a lifestyle change, after all.). Take a breath; you'll be okay. You can do this!
Good luck,
Jo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations on your new arrival and your improved HbA1c. Dietdoctor has some superb recipes none of which has failed to delight or surprise me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello,

Thank you.

Were you diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes? If that is the case, and at your 6-week post-partum test your HbA1c has gone back to 43, you're no exhibiting pre-diabetes levels. I'm not at all sure how long it takes for your pregnancy hormones to settle, post partum, but for now I'd suggest you don't stress over it.

When are you next due to see your nurse? Your online medical records may help identifying how you are viewed at your surgery.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,if your hba1c of 56 was during gestational diabetes and now after pregnancy it is within prediabetic range ,it means you are prediabetic ,in Australia we have to do ogtt after six week postpartum ,have you done that too?