1/4 unit dose pens?

RebeccaSmith

Hi, I currently use a pen that, up until twenty units, offers a 1/2 unit dosage, which is ace for me. But, I want one that offers a 1/4 unit dosage. Do they exist and if so, where am I able to get them from? I just had a look on google shopping, and there are some verrrry dodgey looking suppliers of needles and all sorts, so I would like something reputable and preferably that is able to hold my current 3ml tube of humalog insulin..
If anyone knows anything about this, it'd be great to get a reply - even if it will cost me an arm and a leg, it'd be so much better for me as i'm so sensitive to insulin. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rebecca,

Never heard of a pen device delivering 1/4 unit, I know 1/2 unit pens exist but have never seen them mentioned on here or in type 1 literature. The best person to ask is your diabetes nurse, perhaps they can make enquiries on your behalf and ask around. Good luck!

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think they do a quarter unit pen. Pumps can deliver small doses but I believe the smallest dose on a pen is a half unit. We use a half unit pen for my daughter and when we were given it a few years ago when she was first diagnosed we were told that is the smallest dose available. That was 5 years ago so maybe something new has come along since.

RebeccaSmith

Hmm, no, that would make sense. That's irritating. I don't really want the pump, and I also haven't been offered to go on the waiting list for it. My diabetes is just so uncontrolled at the moment that I think I would benefit from it..
Are there any classes or anything on learning how to carb count?

I'm just in a dilemma because i've moved into uni, and changed dr's and the dr's at the uni are..let's just say, i've had better. In addition, i've been transferred from the child clinic at the hopsital to the adult clinic - as it's a transition clinic, the nearest appointment is in March or April 2011. It will have been over a year since i'll have been to the hospital clinic.
NHS is supposed to support those who need help. Not only do I have diabetes, I have a diagnosed eating disorder, and I am completely not getting the help I need to control such a serious condition.

Thanks for the replies though :)

Dollyrocker

You'll need to get your name down with your diabetes clinic to do the DAFNE course, it takes 4 or 5 days I think and you may have to wait.

In the meantime there's an online carb counting course which may help you get started and understand the theory, if you google BDEC diabetes it should come up with a link.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
To get 1/4 unit doses you would need to dilute your own insulin and use a syringe rather than a pen. It isn't hard to do and is done for very young children all the time. A pharmacist or your doctor should be able to show you how to do this.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
OP - do you have a novo pen? What you could always do is dial up to the next full or half unit dose and then inject out a tiny bit to subtract a quarter before you inject your dose. The dial on the pen will go back gradually as the insulin is pressed out, so by injecting the first 1/4 unit (with the demi pen) (or 3/4 if you only have a full unit pen) into air, you are left with the fraction you want? not ideal but better than nothing if you want a fractional dose

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
the_anticarb said:
OP - do you have a novo pen? What you could always do is dial up to the next full or half unit dose and then inject out a tiny bit to subtract a quarter before you inject your dose. The dial on the pen will go back gradually as the insulin is pressed out, so by injecting the first 1/4 unit (with the demi pen) (or 3/4 if you only have a full unit pen) into air, you are left with the fraction you want? not ideal but better than nothing if you want a fractional dose

Not sure if this would work or be a accurate way of giving a 1/4 dose of insulin, I tried it on my Novopen 4 and its practically impossible, perhaps you could recommend a pen where this would be achievable anticarb.

Nigel

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
on my novopen demi it lets me retract - if i dial up to the next unit and then inject some by pressing down gently on the injecting button (into the air, not myself!), I can see it turn back on the dial, but you are right there is no way to tell 100% how accurate this is, although if the dial turns back 1/4 turn i'd assume that means 1/4 of the unit has been discharged. Seems to work ok on my pen though maybe becuase its a demi?

goji

I have a novopen junior that gives half units. Sometimes I dial up a half unit and then when giving the injection, I don't depress fully so I give more like a 1/3 or 1/4 unit rather than a 1/2 unit.

Obviously this method isn't that accurate.

badmedisin

Please don't try to judge the dose manually! That would be totally inactivate, and if 0.25 units is enough to make a difference to you, you'll do yourself a mischief!

This may sound really odd, but you could try asking a vet! I know someone who has a diabetic cat (I imagine it follows a low carb diet...) and she said she has to give it 0.25 units.

Definitely get on the waiting list for the DAFNE course or local equivalent. It takes 5 days but totally worth it. Try contacting your hospital (diabetic team or PALS dept) and seeing if they can refer you before you have your appointment. I got referred by a nurse at a hospital whose email I got from an ad on a leaflet as my area doesn't do DAFNE. Sometimes you have to go the scenic route to get what you want :)