1 month review

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today I had an appointment to review everything after being on my pump for a month. In order to keep my pump I have to have a reduced number of hypos after 6 months, this was explained to me when I was first given it so until that 6 month review I only have it on trial. Anyway, today's review was very good. I really wanted to fine tune it a bit more as I am actually having more hypos at the moment than I did on mdi, but that is largely because not all the settings are 100% correct. I am concerned that I won't meet my target but my dsn said today that the enthusiasm and hard work that I've put into it over the last month, as well as recording everything, shows that I am committed to sorting it out and even if I don't hit that target, it's unlikely they'll consider putting me back on mdi. I've got a short list of things that I can change over the next couple of weeks to reduce the number of hypos so we'll see how it goes. For now I'm going to have a day off tomorrow from recording everything - perhaps I'll be able to eat my dinner while it's still hot!

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Hi Lucie75 congratulations on your good review! I've got my fingers crossed for you and here's hoping your hypos reduce. Keep us updated on your progress, it's always good to see people's success stories it really gives me hope x

iHs

Hi Lucie

As you havent been able to alter the settings correctly yet (not sure if dsn wants to do this for you), what you can do, is lie to the pump and tell it that you are going to eat less carb than you really are. This should then help to prevent some of the lows. Ideally though, once ypuve got yr basal rates sorted, yr carb ratios sorted as well..... you should only have tiny minor lows that can be fixed with 1-3 jellybabies......

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Good luck Lucie, I've been fasting today to check my basal rates for the morning and so far I'm not doing to bad, haven't any bloods above 7, so I think my basal is ok. I asked my DSN weather the pump would be taken away from me and they said the only reason it would be taken away, was if you didn't put the work in and do blood tests. And my DSN said the same as yours, That she very much doubted that the pump would be taken away. It's a very steep learning curve at first, but I'm now finding it a little bit easier. I tried using jellytots to treat a low(as I loved, them as a kid), but it took 6 to treat it, so now using jelly babies.