11 units of novo rapid in error

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I'm so angry with myself, I was just about to have an early night. Bloods came in at 6.6mmol, had my split dose of 11 units levemir and headed off to brush my teeth. Then I got that sinking feeling that I'd used my red pen (novo rapid) not my blue pen (levemir). Luckily I use a novopen 'echo' so I was able to check which I'd had. Sadly it was the rapid so I've just had to eat 70 carbohydrates to counteract the insulin. Hey ho, I'm only human

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So easily done Picci, probably best setting an alarm and rechecking your bg levels.

Someone else did this a couple of weeks ago, think it was Smidge and its not a nice feeling, I've injected my basal twice but not mixed the two insulin up, but thank goodness for the memory function on the Echo pen.

Hope your OK.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you have enjoyed extra carbs :) Echo memory function is great, so easy to make that silly mistake. Stay well and check your gl just in case

Reactions: 6 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Picci - you have my sympathy. As @noblehead says, I did exactly the same a few weeks ago. You are definitely a lot calmer than I was - still, under the circumstances maybe the stress was a good thing and kept my levels up LOL.

I didn't even think I had enough carb in the house to treat it - turns out I had loads! No idea where the box of granola came from!

Keep monitoring - and make sure you have some slow-acting carb before sleeping!

Smidge

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning and thank you for all your supportive comments. I was up testing at 3am and I have woken up 10.1. I'm 'recovering' from what I discover is called burn out and yesterday my results were great. I've been putting lots of hard work into my ratios after neglect due to burn out and I've been eating healthier and cutting down on as I've gained weight. I'm a very low carber so a bomb of 70 carbs last night was not good. I've actually got an appointment with my consultant today. Sorry about the random waffle x

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad your ok try not to let a blip get you down, just put it down to experience, I think we've all been there, myself a few times but you've handled this brilliantly and you didn't hypo, phew ! I'd rather wake at 10.1 than hypo any day of the week !!

Have a good apt today too ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh I'm so angry with myself, I was just about to have an early night. Bloods came in at 6.6mmol, had my split dose of 11 units levemir and headed off to brush my teeth. Then I got that sinking feeling that I'd used my red pen (novo rapid) not my blue pen (levemir). Luckily I use a novopen 'echo' so I was able to check which I'd had. Sadly it was the rapid so I've just had to eat 70 carbohydrates to counteract the insulin. Hey ho, I'm only human

How are you feeling now Picci ? I have done that once, a few years ago now, it's a mistake many have made though.
Take care RRB

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fine thank you RRB, feeling a bit topsy turvy as I'm now 15mmol. I'll be keeping s close eye on things. Today will be up and down until I get settled. X

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank goodness you got through it Piccy. You'll recover. It may take a week, but you survived and you'll get things back again.

You survived !!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you are OK !
Been there, done that, as have most of us at some point:rolleyes: But it's a horrible feeling when you realise that you have done it :banghead:

Don't worry about the carb load needed to treat it, it's a necessary thing and not a regression of any kind ;)

Signy

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there done it. Not fun.

Glad you got through ok.

It's interesting as I was discussing something with my wife yesterday on the train home from work along similar topic.

How often do you all sometimes get a hypo and you have to eat something but you really REALLY have no interest in eating anything. I know a lot of the time we get the super munchies with a hypo hits but I find sometimes I have the opposite.
It is rather annoying when you have to force an amount of food down your throat when you really dont want it.

/A

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there done it. Not fun.

Glad you got through ok.

It's interesting as I was discussing something with my wife yesterday on the train home from work along similar topic.

How often do you all sometimes get a hypo and you have to eat something but you really REALLY have no interest in eating anything. I know a lot of the time we get the super munchies with a hypo hits but I find sometimes I have the opposite.
It is rather annoying when you have to force an amount of food down your throat when you really dont want it.

/A
Hypos normally make me super hungry and I often end up over correcting!

However, the worst thing for me is when I'm 4.5mmol or less before going to bed. I always feel like I should have a snack in case I drop lower but I'm never in the mood to eat at that time. Last night I was 3.9mmol at bed so had a biscuit. Half an hour later I tested and I was then 7.5mmol.... I think the cheesecake I ate for dessert at dinner time was delaying carb release, so there was no need for the biscuit at all. Libre is helping with the trend arrows but it can still be a pain. Often I'll drop after dinner but then steadily rise again but it's having the confidence to go to bed low and uncertain of the trend.

Another annoyance is when I'm between 6 to 8mmol at bed time. I like to go to bed at 6 or less but between 6 and 8 one unit of NovoRapid will drop me too much, so I'm just stuck at those higher levels all night. Could try 0.5 unit but find that doesn't really do anything.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I was like that before bed and would have a local hot chocolat which comes in at around 5g of carbs. That should push me up 2 to 3 mmol/l.

That being said since I have been using a FreeStyle Libre one thing that is absolutely clear is that I am very very flat at night. Clearly my PM Basal is spot on. With that information I now don't worry too much anymore which has been a real win for me.