13 year old daughter recently diagnosed with T1D

Dr D

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My 13 year old was diagnosed with T1D on July 20th after falling ill during hospital (we currently live in Germany). Needless to say, the last few weeks have been traumatic with steep learning curves on many fronts.
She's doing remarkably well, bearing in mind she's had a needle phobia upto now! She's currently self administering Lantus/Actrapid and Novorapid and although its early days, we would like to investigate patch pumps.

Does anyone have any experience, recommendations, drawbacks of the current systems available? I've read a little about the OmniPod system which seems to be very interesting especially as it's fairly small.

Thank you in advance

Des

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi des,my 10 year old has the Accu check combo pump it has a wire but we've found it fantastic we were also offered the omni pod but decided to go with Accu check as of the fantastic out of hours service help and support .my daughter was diagnosed just over a year ago and was also started off on injection but as you no it's a lot of injections esp as you have to start injecting for every snack ever high ,corrections ,Chloe cud end up having 15 injection a day and it got to much .now she changes her cannula every 3 days and presses a button for everything ,it's changed her life and she loves it.
Good luck
Shell

Reactions: 2 people

Dr D

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shell1
Thanks for your helpful reply. We have a meeting with the consultant next week in hospital and I'll bear your comments in mind.

Thanks again.
Des

I was diagnosed T1 at age 11 but that was in 1983! For the last four years or so I've been using a Medtronic pump and it's changed my life tbh.

BTW diabetes never stopped me from doing anything.