15.... And in trouble...

Vicksteria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, im 15 and have been diabetic 4 yrs. Im not at all well controlled, as well as running high I am rebellious (cant spell) against my mum, I am really bad with doin my bs and injections. I think its an absolute pain in the ****.
I want to also explain ive been in DKA more than once, ive nearly died twice with it.
I worry my mum like hell and its affecting our whole family, you might of read the post my mum wrote 'at my wits end'
Well im that girl. Thats my mum, my family im tearing apart.

Id also like to add I would like snakebite peircings, mums not too keen, but dads thinking about it, If there is any advice on keeping peircings clean it would be greatly appreciated.

Vicksteriaxxx

Dark Horse

I'm sorry you are struggling with diabetes. I know it's very difficult, particularly at your age. You are probably feeling angry that it's happened to you, feel very unlucky and wonder "why me". There are others who feel the same: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/My-life/Teens/Fun-stuff/People-like-me/Katies-story/

It is a nuisance but, in a way you are very lucky. It's less than a hundred years since a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes meant certain death. Although it it takes a while to get to grips with it, don't give up. Keep at it and eventually it will become second nature.

Go back to your GP/diabetic nurse and tell them that you are finding things difficult and need some help. Looking after your diabetes is a skill which you need to learn. There may be some support groups in your area, particularly ones aimed at young people. Talking to others who are in the same situation is often helpful.

Start looking after your diabetes now - your future self will be very grateful!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Vicki .

Do you know any other persons same or similar in age to you that have Type1 diabetes like yourself ?

Near where you live, school/college ? Online - forum ?

Anna.

Davears

Hi Vick.
Sorry im not a similar age to you know. I got diabetes when I was 5, I found it very difficult as a child. I went through a 4 year stage of not taking my insulin and constantly living in hospital because of it. I caused no end of issues in my family, and had an aweful relationship with my mum as well. I used my diabetes as a tool/weapon to get my own way, and it worked. tbh now im older I wish I hadn't, ive had no end of medical problems because of the abuse I gave our condition, along with many regrets regarding how I was with family members. It is a pain in the **** at times, and more so at your age. Try and stay on top of it though, otherwise youll suffer later in life. id say try and find some support, online or in person. dont be scared to explain how you feel, and how having diabetes makes you feel. Maybe seek out a counsellor or something similar to help you understand yourself, which will help you to sort out your relationship with your family.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Vick

I'm 23, I was diagnosed when I was 8 and when I was 14 my family and I went through a traumatic event and I stopped taking care of myself. Over the following 4 years I went through a rebellion, I was in and out of hospital with DKA, I skipped injections and stopped bloodtesting. I spent 4 years making my Mum and my brothers lives worse than they already were following the trauma.

When I was 18, I was admitted to hospital for 6 days (the longest I'd ever been in) with DKA, in those 6 days, something clicked. My friends that complained I didn't tell them when I was in hospital didn't visit when I did tell them. My boyfriend at the time saw me on the day I was admitted and didn't bother coming again because he didn't like hospitals (I don't know anyone that does...) I realised that people were starting to give up on me and at the end of it all, it's my life and I didn't want to die at the age of 18, I wanted to have a life. My DSN pushed me onto a DAFNE course so I could learn to carb count and I found a way to care about looking after myself.

I've been in hospital twice since then (once for DKA due to an infection and once for food poisoning). I've not been admitted for nearly 3 years, which is a huge acheivement. I wouldn't want anyone to go through the kind of rebellion I've been through (or any kind of rebellion) because I never felt good, for 4 years I felt ill, I felt guilty. When I was starting to sort myself out, I did it gradually, I started taking my injections again and blood testing after that, I'm still a little bit lax on blood testing, but I'm becoming much better with it as I'm determined to get myself a pump this year (fingers crossed!)

By improving myself and looking after myself, I know that I'm lowering any complications I have from becoming any worse!

If you need to talk to people, there are resources everywhere, if you feel a councillor would help, you can ask your DSN or consultant to refer you; and obviously there's always people here on the forum who are willing to lend an ear.

With piercings, just do your research and make sure you're 100% that you want them, there's no reason why a diabetic cannot have piercings or tattoos and any good piercing place will give you a document and advice on keeping your piercings clean and the maintenance of them. You would also be able to purchase cleaning solutions from a good piercers as well. Make sure you go to a piercers with a good reputation and ensure they know that you are diabetic. I would also advise that you have someone with you and make sure you eat beforehand and have a sugary drink ready (as it's common to pass out or feel sick after piercings). This would be another incentive for you to take better care with your diabetes, as healing processes are much slower than they usually are for a diabetic if you have poor control.

Best of luck Vicksteria!

CherryKerry

I'm 21 and was diagnosed when I was 11. At the beginning my mum controlled everything for me and I was doing okay. The problem was I never bothered to listen to what the nurses were saying so never really learnt how to manage it myself. When I turned 15 I completely rebelled and started drinking alcohol, eating whatever I wanted and just ignoring everyone around me. I put my mum through hell because she was so worried and desperately tried to get me under control. I carried on not testing or injecting and doing what I wanted up until now. I had the most horrible Christmas and new year. I'm guessing my body had finally given up after years of abuse because I was admitted into hospital on the 9th of December with DKA, again on the 22nd and then once more on the 31st. That was when everything changed, I decided I could not go on as I was so now I'm trying my hardest to carb count, inject and make sure I test always. It's not actually as hard as you think once you get into a habbit of doing it. I also have a wonderfully supportive boyfriend who will help and remind me. I have a 14 year old brother who is also type 1 and he's now heading down the same track i did. I'm trying my hardest to help steer him in the right direction. What I'm trying to say is, it may seem like you've hit rock bottom and there's no way up but trust me there is, I would have really struggled if it weren't for my diabetic nurse, she was amazing. I really do hope things work out well for you. :)

elainechi

so...i.ve read your mums posts and replied to her....its good your on the forum but what do you want to acheive apart from a piercing of course xx

Sent from my GT-P5110 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Heya im 23 n wuz diagnosed wen I wuz 19 with type 1. Mine is not controlled at all, constantly up n down. I worry my mumall the time with it, I think its hard on her coz im not living at home. Also because its a serious disease. I hate injevtions n checkin my bs. But if its not controlled within 5-10 yrs I could have serious problems. They now tell me that I have both type 1 n 2, my body is resisting the insulin. With the piercings lol I have loads aswell as tattoos, the main thing with piercings is not to touch or play with them, leave them alone n they should be fine. Hope that helps. Try n help ya mum out because she dosnt wana lose a daughter.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I know the piercing wasn't the most pressing issue on this thread, but I figured I would post this link since it has some helpful advice regarding piercings and how your diabetes can effect it: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/body-piercing ... betes.html

I have several piercings myself (lip, nose, stretched ears) and if you *do* end up getting anything pierced, just follow the aftercare instructions you get from the piercing place.

pplprincess5480

Hi Vicki,

I read your Mum's post on the parents forum. I have a diabetic daughter aged 6.

I know diabetes is a pain in the ass, believe me. It's a nightmare but I am determined not to let it control my daughters life.

I'm not preaching, please don't think I am but the only person who can change things is you. You need to be in control of your diabetes for it to affect you as little as possible. Is it really worth risking your life?

Se yourself small goals, no one expects you to flip a switch and have it all sorted. Try and get maybe one meal a day sorted. Blood sugar and insulin. When your feeling confident with that try two meals. I know your mum probably drives you nuts, it's her job. She wants to help, maybe you could work on letting her help as much as you feel comfortable with and you can learn from her but on your terms.

You say you'd like snake bites, how about setting that as your long term goal. I have loads of piercings (nose, labret, tragus, rook etc) and I know that they get infected easily without diabetes involved. Your diabetes needs to be well controlled to avoid this. That's the advice I was given when my little girl had her ears pierced. Could you use that to motivate yourself to get yourself together? Talk to your mum she might agree if she sees you making a change.

I know it sounds as they I'm being bossy, I'm just worried for you. If there is anything else I can do. If you need to talk to someone that is not your mum but understands diabetes then pm me. That's a genuine offer.

Life as a teenager isn't easy, don't let diabetes make it even harder. Take care x

Kirsty

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rosiedavies96

Im 16 nd had it now for six years, and i was in pretty much the exact same situation you are now. And mine was ongoing for about three years, and this is me just coming out the other end of it.

Diabetes is a pain in the **** at times, but you will come to a realisation that its a tiny little part of your life, you should control your diabetes it shouldnt control you!

Other things with shorty come up in your life, whether its exams, falling in love with someone, going to college, leaving home, things like that (cheesy i know, but honestly!) and it will feel like it was silly that you even thought about it being such a massive thing to you, it will slip to the back of your mind.

And you will earn back your parent trust, and the family will come back together, as when i was at my worst, my parents were on the verge of divorce, and now they're happier than they've ever been!

I know teenage life is pretty rubbish with diabetes or any other illness for that matter but it will get better, i promise you that.

I had been admitted over 30 times with dka or other hyper glycaemic related illness..and you will learn from it, i scared myself into stopping, when i realised how much i was breaking my families hearts.

All the best, feel free to send me a message if you want to talk.

Clarice. x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Vicki
being a teenager is tough. All teenagers want to be just like their friends. That's why when the schools have non-uniform days, the kids come in all dressed alike!
Having diabetes distances you from the crowd. If you hunt around [try Diabetes UK] you can find a crowd[support group ] just like you. Then you can all help and support each other.
Even if you give your mother a dreadful time, she's unlikely to stop loving and supporting you.
You already realise that you will eventually take control of your condition and you can live a worthwhile healthy life. It will be up to you.
Take comfort from the knowledge that girls usually get it right.
Hana

liwi02

Sorry you don't have control over your diabetes
I'm only 10 but I get what you mean
try eating less carbs and more vegetebles, not the nicest aadvice but it works.
My mum goes balistic when I have a high bg and I've had 3 infections befor!!

hope you got some good advice :)
oliwia

ForeverYoung

Heyy, I know how you feel! I'm 15 too and it sucks! Big time!! My bloods are never under control either! Try applying for a pump as I've just got one recently and my bloods have been a lot better but still not as good as they should be! My mum is also t1 so it sometimes helps but not that much haha ! I'm here for a chat if you ever want it:) if you have twitter you can follow me @ParawhoreYelYah or Facebook me! https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=221050344605215&id=100001007523769&set=a.221048051272111.50717.100001007523769&__user=1377811748&soft=side-area#!/SamanthaBonner.Rawr?__user=1377811748

Good luck! Hope it all gets better <3 - Samantha x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App