1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

18, Bham

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by cath_heidi, Oct 19, 2014.

1. cath_heidi

cath_heidi Type 1 · Member

I literally don't know anyone else with diabetes :( sometimes I just need someone who understands because everyone is clueless x

• Like Like x 5
  2. Kingo kingsley

Kingo kingsley Type 1 · Active Member

Hi I'm newly diagnosed and being on here will really help you :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Well you've come to the right place, welcome to the forum.

4. cath_heidi

5. Kingo kingsley

Ask any question and you'll get a very good answer back that will help

6. cath_heidi

Yehh I've looked through a few posts and it seems quite useful and interesting

7. Kingo kingsley

Being on here has really helped me :)

8. cath_heidi

That's good to hear :)

9. Paul59

Paul59 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm newbie since 9th Sept, most I have learned about my condition has mainly come from here & not the medical services, aswell as research on the net, so here is about the best place to start, so ask & browse & come to your own decision on how you want to go with controlling it.

10. cath_heidi

Yeh the info on here is probably better because let's be honest we're all experts lol

11. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
  12. Charles Robin

Charles Robin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you at college/university? You could see about setting up a group there if you are, there are probably others in your area you just haven't met yet.

13. cath_heidi

No I finished college in July and planning to go to uni next year, I needed a break in between the two

14. Charles Robin

Charles Robin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good plan, you have time to plan, and take a lot of the stress out of moving to the next level of education. Also, it could give you a chance to get a different type of education; learning more about your diabetes :). The reason so many diabetics feel isolated is partly down to a lot of diabetics being unable (or unwilling) to properly talk about their condition. Unfortunately those of us taking control are in the minority. A diabetic with poor control is likely to wave away questions and just say 'I'm fine, I take my medication and I can eat what I want.' Well, most people here can verify it's not nearly that simple. I believe that's a significant factor in why the public are so ill informed, and don't realise how serious diabetes can be. If you can get on top of your diabetes, the chances are you will want to share your success. This will mean those close to you increasing their understanding of what you have achieved, and what you had to do to manage it.

15. Paul59

Paul59 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a big problem with my OH, she just can't understand how serious it could be if I fail to control, when she makes things like a casserole I ask her to measure the ingredients she puts in so I can work out the values, or tells me what I can eat. Think the sooner we can get to the nhs group meetings the sooner she may understand. it's hard enough dealing with it without having someone thinking they know it all, but have no idea. so your not alone.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cath_heidi

Yehh I think if the professionals take time to kinda just work with us coz I find they just put us in groups and leave us there, and actually they could be a bit more human, it's not easy living with diabetes

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook