1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1948 cookery book (26th Edition) "Diet for diabetics"

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Ryhia, May 29, 2021.

1. Ryhia

Ryhia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.3 this morning. Something seems to be working - Painting and decorating finished so not so much physical exertion to inflame my stenosis or is it that I have been eating much less protein over the last couple of days - definitely seeing levels I'm more comfortable with during the day. Happy with that.

Was going through an old 1948 cookery book (26th Edition) and came across a "Diet for diabetics" , makes very interesting reading. Its out of copyright so ok to post.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Isn’t this interesting? Not sure I’d fancy lettuce boiled for 10minutes though. Really glad to see your numbers behaving.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for posting that Ryhia. So advice not unlike LCHF which begs the question if they knew this in 1948 why are we advised to follow the Eatwell (starches with every meal) Plate 73 years later. It reminded me on my old Domestic Science text book a mere 50 years ago!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Ryhia

Yea, I think I am going to keep a copy in my back pocket so that the next medic who says I should be eating carbs can have a read.

Edited to note: Post partly deleted as digressed from subject matter.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #4 Ryhia, May 29, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
  5. Ryhia

Beats me - particularly as I had been eating the Eatwell plate for the last 20 years off and on and I still ended up diabetic. I actually bought the book because it reminded me of my old school cookery book. Blue cover and all. Not as good though. But if you ever need to know how to whiten collars or clean your furs - I'm your gal.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

I’d pop into the new thread if you started one - I think it’s fascinating that we’ve known how to approach T2D for so long but it doesn’t seem to be acknowledged now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Ryhia

I think a new thread would be good, this is well worth a discussion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. annabell1

annabell1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They got it right then ... until sadly someone said fat was bad and boom LFHC and sugar took over our diets

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. PenguinMum

Me too Pip. Would make newly dxd think again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wonder when the advice changed. I suspect when more and more pills were invented to tackle diabetes, following which they probably veered away from the medicine of food. This most likely led to now where it is taken as read that you don't really need to alter your diet, just take more and more medicine and eventually insulin, a terrible approach in my opinion. (I appreciate it's a different tack for type 1s or those with pancreatic issues etc).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking at the sample menus in the 1920 paper, some do seem very low calorie, too. who could manage to just have two thirds of an ounce of bacon?
    Interesting that the summary states:

Patients with severe diabetes, as a class, do not remain sugar free on the usual high protein diet unless the total energy intake is kept so low that incapacity from starvation results. The only satisfactory diet is one which will keep the diabetic sugar free, which will prevent the occurrence of serious acidosis, which will maintain nitrogen bal¬ ance and which will make it possible for him to resume the ordinary activities of life. With these four points in mind, we studied the effect of a high fat, low protein, low carbohydrate diet in the treat¬ ment of diabetes. Our experience with this type of diet in the management of seventy-three diabetics has convinced us that it is capable of fulfilling these four specifications.

So, perhaps my attempt at higher Protein:Energy dieting is not the best fit for me? Though I would add that I don’t think that after 16 years with T2 and no other diabetes meds than Metformin for some of that time, with recent HbA1c 41, I don’t have severe diabetes.
    Somebody help me,or am I doomed to reducing portion size to breakfast of 2ozs of lettuce, with 1oz of ground bacon. :sorry: What is ground bacon?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ryhia

been reading through the history of diabetes on this site Diabetes History - History of Diabetes Mellitus looks like some died as a result of a starvation diet.

Dr Frederick Allen publishes a book, “Total Dietary Restriction in the Treatment of Diabetes”, which reveals case records of diabetes patients treated with the ‘starvation diet’. The treatment helps extend the lives of diabetes patients, but many of his patients die as a result of starvation.
    so I wouldn't recommend the 2oz of lettuce and 1oz ground bacon!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To be fair, before Frederick Banting and insulin, doctors treating T1's had very, very few options: I see how the starvation diet came about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

This 1936 advice is similar to the others above.

Cookery and Household Management
    Printed 1936

Diabetes

Those suffering from this ailment require carefully to avoid all foods containing sugar and starch. The following Must be avoided:

Milk, sugar, flour, cornflour, oatmeal, rice, sago, macaroni, the various pulse foods, fruits containing a high percentage of sugar, potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, broad beans, spanish onions.

The following are allowed:

meat, soups, fish, poultry, game and meat of all kinds. Also eggs, butter, cream, cheese, certain vegetables. Light dry wines. Weak unsweetened spirits. Tea, coffee and cocoa which may be sweetened with saccharine. There may be plentiful use of butter, cream, fat and oils if the digestion will allow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PenguinMum

So interesting so when and why on earth did the medics decide to change that excellent advice which we all know works. It really is unforgivable, maddening We all know that 1936 advice works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi guys,

Personally, I see no issue discussing diatary advice from the early 20th century whatever decade it was?

Lol, I remember seeing some period drama in my early teens (aired early 1980s?) it was set sometime possibly during WW1?
    There was this T1 lad in a "Downton abbey" set up with this dinner service scene?
    The family were all seated & this poor T1 kid could only have the chicken & drink water. Everyone else was decadently indulging in the fare & someone seemed to be activly discouraging this sickly child dressed like little Lord Fauntleroy from touching anything on the table not recomended.
    I've been searching for the show online since, but nothing has matched it?

I know there wasn't any insulin at that time.
    So I suppose they must have got it historically correct.. It certainly was an education for this young diabetic..

• Like Like x 2
  18. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

I think that the ‘starvation diets’ were aimed at prolonging survival for T1s before insulin was available.

What a terrible, terrible way to extend a life, by starving to death as slowly as possible.

The terms used were not T1 and T2 back then. The different types were not recognised/categorised until the 1930s, I think.

The low carb high fat advice from the 30s on may well have been aimed a lot more towards T2s whose diagnosis back then would have been very late, after years, possibly decades of high blood glucose, and a few complications settizng in... I have no idea how common, and at what stage, insulin was offered to T2s.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-history.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PenguinMum

You have posted just what I was wondering about as regards whether advice was for T1 or T2. I am now wondering if it was all T1 in the beginning and T2 was a later version. Maybe those with T2 got bad health but nobody knew why. I cant help feeling in my bones if us T2s are carb intolerant now we always were and the emergence of grains in our diet (cereals, different breads, rice, pasta, pizza) which to my knowledge became mainstream after travel abroad, my parents or grandparents never ate these foods other than rice pudding occasionally which was always fortified with double cream and egg yolk. My first taste of pizza in Italy in 1980 with wafer thin base with delicious toppings. I wonder when T2 was first discovered.

• Like Like x 2
  20. annabell1

annabell1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think our diet completely changed in the late 50s when an increase of people were taking up smoking and an US president suffered from heart attack who also smoked. doctors were concerned about increase of HA and an American researcher in 1955 Anice Keys, published a study based on 6 countries saying fat was the cause of HA and promoted that low fat high carb diet would prevent heart disease. At the same time Professor John Yudkin published his study that it was excess sugar which was the cause of the heart disease epidemic his theory was based on a number of research experiments. The think is Anice Keys had data from around the world but he excluded countries that didn't fit in his hypothesis and everone agreed that fat was the cause. As a result, consumption of sugar and vegetable oils increased, while animal fat consumption went down. Strangely Anice Keys study had continuesly been debunked as no prove that LFHC prevented HA.

https://www.defeatdiabetes.com.au/resources/how-did-we-get-nutrition-so-wrong/

• Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook