1st appointment at pump clinic in a week - advice please

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Been type 1 since 1981, gone from glass syringes injecting once a day through to pen 4 times daily. I now want to go the next step to having a pump and my nurse referred me to the pump clinic which I'm going to a week on Monday.
My concern is that I won't meet criteria. My HbA1c is ok (7.4 last test). I still have hypo symptoms.
I do have a lot of hypos if I keep within my DAFNE targets around meals times and I do drive regularly for my job, these are things that may be helpful. We are also thinking about starting a family so that may help too.
I attend Guys hospital.
Any thoughts or advice on how it is best for me to play it?
Thanks in advance
Michelle

l0vaduck

michellem said:
Hi
Been type 1 since 1981, gone from glass syringes injecting once a day through to pen 4 times daily. I now want to go the next step to having a pump and my nurse referred me to the pump clinic which I'm going to a week on Monday.
My concern is that I won't meet criteria. My HbA1c is ok (7.4 last test). I still have hypo symptoms.
I do have a lot of hypos if I keep within my DAFNE targets around meals times and I do drive regularly for my job, these are things that may be helpful. We are also thinking about starting a family so that may help too.
I attend Guys hospital.
Any thoughts or advice on how it is best for me to play it?
Thanks in advance
Michelle

I think the most convincing part of what you've said is the hypos. If you take in a comprehensive Dafne diary showing that you've got everything adjusted and are still having frequent hypos, especially given your job, this might persuade them. Also 7.4 is higher than the DAFNE guidelines, if they are still what they were when I did it (6-7%).

Good luck!

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks! Yeah think I will use the hypos but I need to be careful around the driving side of things, don't want to put my licence in jeopardy.
I'm not sure if the vast majority of people are put on them cos of problems or if lots of people get them cos they would fit better in their lives, like it would for me.
Fingers and toes crossed

iHs

Hi

Another thing to take note of is anxiety that you get through trying to do your best to get bg levels low enough to avoid complications but high enough to avoid hypos and falling off the 'tightrope'. Anxiety over how diabetes affects yourself can also affect those nearest and dearest...........

Look carefully at the NICE TA51 criteria for insulin pump funding and see if you are able to meet some of the points mentioned in the criteria. A D pump consultant will do their best to help you meet it especially if they think that insulin pumps are the way forward...

Be yourself and good luck..... :)