1st Commute to work on the bike with the pump.

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
After going on the pump last Monday and working all week getting the settings tweaked, I'm now getting control unimaginable on my old MDI regime.

I have a review with the hospital tomorrow to see how things are going and as I seem to have a reasonable understanding of a normal day to day regime and adjusting the basal rates to suit, I thought it would be useful to get back onto the bike and get some data on how things are going on my bike when commuting the hilly 30KM into and back from work.

My BG rose a little over night which has got me scratching my head a little as I've had good basal control the last couple of nights going to bed with a BG of 6.6 and waking with a BG of 6.2, this morning I woke with a BG of 11.2 going to bed with a BG of 6.7? As I was cycling I wasn't really bothered as I knew it was better to be a little higher, but still a little puzzled why I got the rise?

I woke at 5:30am and after taking the 11.2 BG reading, then entered the Exercise 1 setting on the Accu-check Insight handset that reduces my Bolus by 40%. I've been watching a few You Tube videos and from what people on pumps were saying was to also reduce the Basal by 20%, which I also did at the same time. As my cycle ride wasn't going to start until 6:30am I wanted everything reduced in advance to see how I get on.

I had porridge for breakfast and after about 30 minutes I was then leaving the house at 6:30am with a BG of 11.5.

15Km into the ride, after all the hills, I use to get a massive drop on the MDI regime, nearly severly hypo, but today after the 15km I did the test and my BG read 7.2, over the moon. I then proceeded to do my remaining 15km and got to work and tested to get a reading of 6.7.

This is control I have never experienced before. Once at work I then changed the Basal Rate back from -20% to normal and have managed so far to flatline at around 7.0.

Totally made up and feel so much better for getting this pump settings tweaked to the level I'm now at.

Looking forward to seeing the nurse tomorrow as I'm delighted with how this is going.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Excellent news Julian - that's a huge turnaround, long may this continue, but it's sounds as though you have already accomplished so much in getting your settings adjusted. Pumps do help in regards to exercise so much as the basal control is so much easier :)

D

Deleted Account

Well done.
Just wondered whether your night time rise was due to some anxiety about the cycle ride ahead? Or a late night supper? Or your body just proving its independence to keep you on your toes (or pedals)?

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
The only explanation I can possibly provide for the rise, was at my evening meal around 7pm, I had strawberries and cream for dessert (no sugar and at the time appeared to be compensated for by a bolus) I think with Fats I do seem to cling on to these carbs longer, I had a great nights sleep and wasn't anxious about the ride as I'm used to doing this commute 2-3 times a week.
I'm slowly starting to work a little around extended boluses and how my body is reacting to proteins and Fats.
We never stop learning and if life was that easy we'd all be doing it, lol.

Reactions: Juicyj

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Can anyone provide any experienced recommendation as to how soon is best to reduce the basal rate before I cycle home, I've currently been running this afternoon between 6.0-6.6, which is still fantastic for me as the afternoon use to also cause me lows.
I've read on Runsweet and other forums that some riders reduce as their changing to go home, but I reduced my Basal this morning about 45 minutes prior to cycling, but then I was taking a reduced Bolus dosage as well?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can anyone provide any experienced recommendation as to how soon is best to reduce the basal rate before I cycle home, I've currently been running this afternoon between 6.0-6.6, which is still fantastic for me as the afternoon use to also cause me lows.
I've read on Runsweet and other forums that some riders reduce as their changing to go home, but I reduced my Basal this morning about 45 minutes prior to cycling, but then I was taking a reduced Bolus dosage as well?

I was told 2 hours before any pre-longed exercise but ExCarbs suggests 90 mins before:

http://www.excarbs.com/insulin-injections-pumps-and-exercise/

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loud noise, runner beans, liars
I think it all depends on how quick your body reacts to you insulin. My body is very quick to react, if I reduce my pump to early I end up with rocketing blood sugars. My DSD recommended 2 hours before hand to me. I play football which is slightly different to cycling! You will have to try it and test it till you get it right. Id imagine you want to avoid the low so try 2 hours before at 40% first and also lowerer you bolus as you did this morning if you eat before cycling and see how it goes. If you end up being higher than you want to be then adjust it for next time. Just remember your blood sugar dropped by 5 units during the whole ride to work so it will probably do the same thing on the way home as well, you need to be aware of this when adjusting your doses or you may need a boost of energy on half way home.