1st day with my pump!!!

ChelseaLee3011

After stressing for a good 6 months about getting a pump today is finally the day!! I had built it up so much that I was pleasantly surprised this morning after my meeting with my nurse and the man from the pump company Roche!

It's going to be a tough journey to start with but hopefully worth it in the long run!! Here's to my first nights sleep!!! (Or probably lack of sleep) xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooh, good luck!!! I get mine in 8 days!!! By the way, what do you do with it at night? Pop it under the pillow? Is it possible to squash the tubing by laying on it? I'm full of questions at the moment. Let us know how you go, especially with finding the right basal rate.

SewK8

Hiya
I started a week ago in insulin in the pump. It feels so odd not to inject and I still keep thinking I need to! I met the Roche rep too, Will, and he set it all up while the nurse explained what was happening. I go back in 4 weeks for an update on the fasting tests.
At night I slip in in some shirts that I have a little pocket in. Easy!
Kat

ChelseaLee3011

Thanks for all your replies!!

First night sleep wasn't very good but it's what I expected I was so conscious of rolling on it or pulling it out!! I've been told that it's really hard to pull it out though!!

Last night I clipped it onto my waist belt of my pjs and that seemed to work well for me!!

Thanks for all your nice comments xx

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I've had the pump since 2006. Although it seems hard at first and quite stressful, it is most definitely worth it in the long run. Just don't become complacent with it and it'll be the best decision you make.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you feeling 2 days in? Was the 2nd nights sleep better?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck, hope all goes well :thumbup:

ChelseaLee3011

Hale710 - second night was slightly better but still having hypos during the night and I don't think I'm sleeping as heavy as I would normally still slightly better than the first so hopefully it will keep improving :)! Anyone else struggle when first going on the pump to sleep? X

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, another pumper, did struggle to sleep when I first got the pump. Mainly due to having hypos due to hourly basal rates needing adjusting. Would try and wake every hour, adjust if needed. Totally knackered fire about 2 weeks to get correct settings. Well worth it, hardly ever have night hypos now, but also avoid the dreaded early morning sugar rush. Stick with it
:)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll get there. I don't have a pump but there are many who have and swear by it!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wishing you lots of luck with your new pump :D

Best wishes RRB

woodlouse7

How are you finding the pump? Iv been on mine for about 8 weeks now and I love it. My nurse has been amazing and off to see my consultant next thursday. I keep mine clipped in the centre of my bra I was petrified it will come out but not happenened to me and I am a wriggler in bed lol.
If you need any help or anything dont be scared to ask always nice to know others that are on the pump
Xx

ChelseaLee3011

Aw that's good to hear you are loving it!!! I was so worried about having one but it's not as bad as I thought!! It's the hiding it I'm having most difficulty with! I don't want people to see it snd feel sorry for me so want to keep it well hidden! Lol
Think I'm going to struggle with tight fitted dresses when I go out :(

I know it's going to get better in the long run but this first week has been quite hard!

Being able to talk to others on here is fab so thanks to everyone who has replied xx