1st ever HbA1c DCCT result - Is this good?

nikkihc

Dislikes
I dislike not being able to have cup's of tea before bed as even the skimmed milk takes me too high before sleeping !!
I was diagnosed 3 months ago as a type 1 (at the tender age of 37 when levels were 18 to 25) Just had my first HbA1c DCCT result which equals 07.4%.... In my mind that sounds good....?? Is it? And what does DCCT mean?

It also says my HbA1c IFCC is 057 mmol/mol, again what is IFCC by comparision to DCCT?

I believe I manage my diabetes well and my own tests average 7.5

Can anyone advise if all the above is good, ok, indifferent or bad?

I will be seeing my DSN who I'm sure will explain this but haven't had an appointment date yet and can't wait to find out if this is good or bad...!!!

:)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The DCCT stands for Diabetes control and complications trial. This led to the standardisation of HbA1c testing in many countries and the results given as a percentage.
Since then laboratory methods have changed and a newer standard and reporting method has been agreed by the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry. This is the second result and is in mmol/mol.
A result of 57 on the new one is the equivalent of 7.4% on the old one and for a while in the UK both methods will be reported. (I live in France and they haven't changed at all yet)

see http://www.diabetes.org.uk/HbA1c

The NICE guidelines suggest a level below 7,5% is best but that a lower level of 6.5% or lowe if it can be achieved without too many hypos may be appropriate for type 1s.
http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/10944/29398/29398.pdf
So 7.4% is within the target and a good first result.

nikkihc

Dislikes
I dislike not being able to have cup's of tea before bed as even the skimmed milk takes me too high before sleeping !!
Thanks Phoenix,

Great reply and links. I will now have a great day knowing I have been a good girl! Probably by celebtating in the pub on Vodka and kebab's to go and ruin it all - just for one day anyway !!! lol !!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For your 1st blood tests, you should be very proud of yourself.

nikkihc

Dislikes
Thanks donnellysdogs,
I do try so I am v pleased with the result.... I didn't ruin it all too much last night !! lol

:lol:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi nikkihc,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I'm T2 and a bit older than you, so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment on your BG's? However, I am drinking a very large vodka and coke as I type this, so can tell you that vodka seems to be a "compliant drink" for T2's; so hopefully it will be for T1's too.

I'm intrigued by this whole T1/T2 thing. Is it simply that T1's are insulin dependant from the off, or is there more to it than that? I only ask as my perception is that T1's are diagnosed early in life, not in their 30's.

stabatha

not all type 1s are diagnosed when they are young, both me and my mum got type 1 in our mid 30s. To put it simple the difference between type 1s and 2s is that type 1 is an autoimmune disease meaning their immune system attack and kill the insulin makng cells in the pancreas, so once this process is complete they are unable to make any insulin at all, where as type 2s do make some insulin but not enough for various reasons eg they are insulin resistant meaning they produce it but cant use it effectivly so need more to gain the desired result, anyway thats just a quicky answer theres much more to it than that but I could be here all day :lol: