1st HbA1C

rockwidow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I do not have diabetes but my hubby does. He was diagnosed in January with hba1c of 96. Next week he goes for his 1st review after 3 months metformin (1000mg twice daily) what sort of level would be achievable within this time? I am just going to be happy if its less than 96 tbh. We have done random tests every week and averaged 8 in February, 7 in March and 6-7 so far in April so I am confident the reading will be good. What worries hubby is if it sill be low enough for the hurse to just leave things as they are, he really does notwant to take anymore medication if he can avoid it, my feeling is that if we are now getting readings in the 6 area then surely things should be okay but as the test covers the past 3 months it will still have some of those higher levels in it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fingers crosses for you & yours, but looking at your averages I'd say it should be a lot lower than 96. Good luck anyway.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A level of 96 is far too high and Metformin will not have affected this by much. Having a low-carb diet is essential and, yes, the HBA1c will be a 3-month average but is weighted to the last month. If your husband has excess weight then he is most likely to be a T2 but if he is slim then the diagnosis could be wrong and is more likely to be T1. If the latter then more meds will be needed. Keep the carbs low and keep measuring. If the blood sugar doesn't move down then discuss more meds and tests for T1.

rockwidow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hes def a type 2. He has lost about 2 stone in weight since diagnosis which is not bad in 3 months and is feeling much better in himself. Based on his blood sugar readings and my simple maths skills i reckon it will come in at about 50-53 but i am not making any bets on it! He has reduced his carb intake still trying to get our heads around the fat thing...it goes against everything we havr been brainwashed into believing

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No way will he be around 96 .... I reckon your guess is gonna be close to the mark.

rockwidow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well back from the nurse today his HbA1c is 44 his cholesterol is down from 6.6 to 5 (without the aid of statins) and he has lost nearly 3 stone in weight. I am so proud of him and so grateful to the advice i read on this forum

Reactions: 8 people

rockwidow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you we are both so relieved. Our practice nurse couldn't believe it and admitted she nearly rang us that morning to tell us the results as she was so happy.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It is one almighty drop. I couldn't even do that and trust me, I put in some SERIOUS SERIOUS work :)