1st t1 pregnancy planning

LynsayF

I'm 29 years old & planning my first ttype 1 pregnancy. My last hba 1c in Dec 7.4% can anyone recommend how many grams of carbs to have for breakfast lunch & dinner to get my control tighter? I'm dying to start trying not got the go ahead till I'm unDer 7% xx

Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry I can't advise you as I have only just been diagnosed as type 1 whilst pregnant so this is all we to me. Just wanted to wish you good luck in bringing your HbA1C down and getting pregnant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi
I am also planning for pregnancy and I have been advised to have no more than 50g of carbs per meal. People have different opinions on this. It works for me but I do not stick to it all of the time. Have you done the DAFNE course and are you comfortable adjusting your doses? I was really struggling with post meal spikes and have been researching for a while on what to do. I tried taking my insulin 15 minutes before my meal which helped a bit but then I actually discovered that I was needing more bolus insulin. I have had it drummed into me about changing basal rates first so i was so busy looking at this I missed that it was my bolus.
Are you on a pump or injections?
I went onto a pump because I could not get my HBA1c down on injections, In a year of the pump I got my hba1c from 9.3% to 6.4%! I sadly miscarried my last baby (not necessarily the diabetes) and have lost control a bit now but I am trying to conceive again now and trying to get things under control.
Are you taking folic acid yet? You need to get the higher 5mg dose prescribed from your GP.
Your hba1c is very good, I do not think it will take you too long to be ready!
Good luck!!

Nickers

I fell pregnant by accident when I had been type 1 for 16 years I ate what I liked but had to treble my insulin dosage according to what I was eating my hba1c was around 6% which they need you to have really good control of,try not to stress over it loads of people fall pg even if not under control it's just u need to make sure you are strict once ur pg,we tend to have bigger babies anyway my son was 8lb 15 oz and I was 38 wks and 2 days I was induced ul never go full term as it affects the baby in the later stage xx

Incarnation

LynsayF said:
I'm 29 years old & planning my first ttype 1 pregnancy. My last hba 1c in Dec 7.4% can anyone recommend how many grams of carbs to have for breakfast lunch & dinner to get my control tighter? I'm dying to start trying not got the go ahead till I'm unDer 7% xx
Hi,

I was 31 when i fell pregnant with my daughter, so not much older than you. It took me 9 months or so to acheive the A1c my consultant wanted, and it is definately worth waiting til you have it under that control. It's better for you and for your baby.
Whilst i was pregnant i had it drummed into me to eat porridge, porridge and more porridge. Not exactly gourmet dining, but the oats are really good for slow even release of sugars to help avoid big after-meal spikes.

The one thing i really wish i had done pre-pregnancy is the DAFNE course, as mentioned earlier by another lady. It would have made all the difference i think, and is a brilliant way to help you get that A1c tighter and for teaching effective hypo treatment without going too high afterwards. It also helps if you're suffering morning sickness to find the easiest ways to replace lost carbs, things like that. I can't recommend it more highly for someone in your shoes.

One more word of advice - a pregnancy for a diabetic is hard-going, tiring and very medical, lots of visits to the hospital and extra checks and scans (extra pics tho :D ) so just be sure you fit in plenty of the 'fluffy' stuff like anti-natal classes, some sort of relaxation sessions and lots of shopping for baby stuff. It's too easy to get bogged down with the clinical stuff (tests, tests and more tests!), so don't forget to take the time to enjoy the pregnancy experience and look after your emotional well-being.

Good Luck!!

Anni :)

Reactions: 4 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi there! My first child I was very naughty and conceived with a hba1c nearing 10 :oops: needless to say this was not a planned pregnancy. Still I was lucky in that he turned out fine, however dropping my hba1c so rapidly in the pregnancy made me develop proliferative diabetic retinopathy which I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I have just found out I am expecting again, my hba1c was really good (48) on my last clinic visit, but christmas must have got the better of me because the latest reading has just come back at 55 (7.2).

Its hard when you're TTC as you don't know when it's gonna happen - could take a month, could take a year.

I think 7.4 is probably ok to TTC, although the lower the better obv. I was aiming for below 7 - looks like I just missed it.

Make sure you take a high dose folic acid when you start trying, this can couteract the effects of the diabetes on the developing baby.

When you do get pg, make sure you get referred to antenatal straight away, within a week or so, as you may find your sugars get out of control quite quickly as I have just found, and you really don't want to have high sugars particularly in the early weeks when the organs are forming.

Good luck!

Janine2301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am 33 and a full time fire fighter also planning my first pregnancy but have no idea what to do or go about it with control what to do and what not my hba1c is 7.1% now but doctor made changes to my pump because of hectic exercise training program I had for the corporate ironman and irongirl and im bit more relaxed now as we have a change in saeson and its becoming winter in south africa.

Please I need advice and help with the carb ect?

knighthoppers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had my first and only daughter when I was 38 - I've been Type 1 for 27 years this year. It was hard going but so worth it!

I did not manage to get my Hba1 down until I was about 8 weeks pregnant but then maintained a 6.2 throughout. However, one of the biggest things I learnt (afterwards and during my second pregnancy) that non-one seemed to tell me, is that you are much more vulnerable to hypos in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. I actually ended up in an ambulance early on in my second pregnancy (and subsequently miscarried) - so please be aware that your hypos may come on very suddenly and with less warnings than you are used to, especially when you are trying so hard to keep them low, they can drop very quickly in the first 10 weeks. So, always be sure to carry Glucogel with you - it's the quickest way to get glucose in!
I wish my diabetic nurse had told me this before I was pregnant, instead of afterwards!

Nevermind, I have a gorgeous girl who was born at 36 weeks (because I developed pre-eclampsia) at 6lb 4oz and didn't need to go into special care at all - she was perfect. During my pregnancy I had to take 3 times as much insulin as I did before, I was taking almost 60 units of overnight insulin!

As soon as the baby is born though, you have to drop your insulin right down, especially if breastfeeding, because it takes a lot of effort and energy to breastfeed and all the disturbed sleep plays havoc with your sugar levels! But after the pregnancy you can relax a bit and just enjoy life!

Good luck with everything and most of all, enjoy every minute! xxx :)

Janine2301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi knighthoppers thanks for the reply I have been t1 since january 2002 or that was when I was properly diagnosed by a wonderful doctor but I have been managing it well since when think the highest my a1c ever were is around 8.6 but I feel guilty as I read of 5.4 % which I have never seen mine is at 7.1 and I figured thats low lol but im glad I am on a good road thanks for the advice.

Keep well

daisymoomoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dentures
Mushy Peas
Injecting
Ive been told by pre-pregnancy that they want to see 6.5 or less as a Hba1c - also that it's not about how many carbs, but which carbs & getting the ratios for each meal spot on. In the morning I'm on 3units to every 10g, but my evening meal is half that 1.5u. So test before & 2 & 4 hours after every meal & get to know your medication really well.
Good luck!

Janine2301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks daisy been testing in that manner every day my fingers want to go awol on me already as ever since I was diagnosed my dad made me test in this way

daisymoomoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dentures
Mushy Peas
Injecting
Use what you picked up on the course to adjust your doses accordingly. It does take time, but feels good when you get the control!