1st Visit to Diabetic Nurse due to being Newly Diagnose

ljdub

Hi all, just to give you an update (@Eddie65, @Hendersonga)

My Hba1c level was 77 which she said was high and also had a bit of high blood pressure which they are going to monitor, she also weighed me an i had lost 2kgs since the initial prognosis as i generally cut out bread, potatoes, rices, pasta etc but have had the odd time i have endulged but small measures which is good for me and she mentioned this is a great start.

I mentioned carb intake and she mentioned that i can have these still but in smaller portions, which i will try and avoid altogther but there will be the odd meal where i just need to have :(

they managed to give me a blood glucose meter when i mentioned it reading on this forum, they gave me a 'MY LIFE Pura X' so will try this tonight on my main meal.

Also mentioned about taking the Metformin which i dont really want to take but think i will try and see if they agree with me or not but these keep should keep my levels down if i do have too many carbs (is this true?)

Have signed up to a dietician to discuss diet and what is good and not good, any help if gratefully accepted

She mentioned that if i do have a bad day with carbs etc then if i have a couple of good days after then this should be fine but not frequently.

Will have another blood test in 3 months to see which way it is going but she expects it to go down to the 50's, is this achieveable in the time scale?

Got my feet checked as this is something that also suffers with diabetes and all was good and pulse was good so thats a relief and need to have an eye test to check those.

All in all it was Ok but to be fair the information i had gleaned from here is invaluable and just need to see someone face to face to confirm what is here.
If i think of anything else ill add but thought id get my thoughts down here ASAP.

Hope @Eddie65 and @Hendersonga first nurse appointment goes ok

LJDub

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Hi LjDub

Sounds like you had a busy appointment, loads of information to take in (as expected). I think you are right about the information available on here, it's been a fantastic resource hasn't it? I share your concerns around medication, I'm hoping that I can start off by trying diet control in the first instance but I guess that'll all depend on levels etc. I bought myself a meter last week, it's been interesting to use and gives a snapshot of where I am with blood/glucose levels. Also, you may want to consider the cookbook I was recommended, "The Diabetes Weight Loss Cookbook: A life changing diet to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes" .

Pleased to hear that you are in the system and underway with your own journey now. I'll keep you posted about my own appointment tomorrow, fingers crossed for you and @Hendersonga going forward with everything.

have a great day!

Eddie :):)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Also mentioned about taking the Metformin which i dont really want to take but think i will try and see if they agree with me or not but these keep should keep my levels down if i do have too many carbs (is this true?)"...
That's not how metformin works. It can increase insulin sensitivity a little, and it mainly tells your liver not to dump as much glucose as it normally would (up to 75% less). It doesn't really do anything about what you eat. Sorry. :(

I hope you have more luck with the dietician than I had with mine. If I'd followed their advice I'd either be dead or on insulin. When advice contradicts, just use your meter to see what's true and working for you, it won't steer you wrong.

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Hi, first contact with my new DN yesterday (my surgery is still running Triage type phone calls for initial contact). The ball is rolling now, I have an ECG booked in for later today and a face to face meeting with the Nurse next week to confirm my weight, BP and check my feet. An appointment for retinopathy will come through the post along with several information pamphlets, flyers and guidance sheets. I have also been referred to a diet group which runs online (via zoom I would imagine!). We are going to look at diet, exercise and weight loss to begin with. My Hba1c levels will be checked again in 3 months, hopefully there will be some positive change, if not, then I'll start metformin. Feel better now it's all in motion.

Hope you all have a great day :):)