1st visit to DN

hornplayer

Today was my first visit to the Diabetic clinic at my surgery.

It was ok.

The nurse was nice. She answered my questions as well as she could but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. She didn't comment on my taking a low carb approach, but she wasn't impressed with the idea of fat being part of the diet. I'm not sure she really got the low carb idea. - she suggested dried fruit as a snack, as well as bananas and pineapple, both of which I am extremely allergic to, and wouldn't eat even if I wasn't! But at least she didn't try to make me eat the things on her "eat well plate".

My Hba1c was a lot higher than I was hoping it would be, but being as it included a big chunk of time before diagnosis. I'm not that surprised. Gotta bring it down now.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone here, on the forum. Because of you guys, I was able to turn an appointment into a meeting, where I felt in control. The DN seemed to like that the discussion was on a higher level too. It was a positive experience. Thank you.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe nice job :) im sure it will be much lower a1c next time :) I just tend to nod and smile a lot and keep taking the strips :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's great that your DN was happy to discuss things with you. I'm a little concerned about having bananas and pineapple as snacks. These are the worst fruits to have as a diabetic, so they are best avoided or have small quantities. Sounds like she is perpetuating the standard NHS 'one-size fits all' dietary advice which she has been trained to do; not her fault.

chrisbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, interesting to read your nurse recommending bananas, went to see my db nurse yesterday to Start me on insulin, talked to her about fruit, she said all fruit is good fruit apart from bananas as they contain carbs and are high in potassium no more than two a week was her advice,

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All fruit contains carbs. The only way to find out if you can eat them is to test. I can eat large amounts of pineapple (I don't though as it sets off a carb craving) without too much of a rise and luckily, I can't stand bananas.

wiflib

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
chrisbell said:
she said all fruit is good fruit apart from bananas as they contain carbs and are high in potassium no more than two a week was her advice,

Wow! What's wrong with potassium? Here's a good essay about it from Dr Kendrick - sounds like it's something we should all be on...

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/03/04 ... le-friend/

As to all fruit being good; for whom? Not diabetics as all fruit is packed with sugar and the worst type of sugar too; fructose which as an added bonus becomes metabolised straight to fat in the liver.

As to berries some people can handle some berries but eat a punnet of strawberries and see what happens to your blood sugar...

Best

Dillinger