1st week done...

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...got through my first week with no dramas apart from the scone slip! I'm not sure if I am low carbing properly but it seems to work for me. Basically I have cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, root veg and refined sugars. I did try to increase fat intake but it made me sick so am having what I am comfortable with.
I have more energy than I can ever remember apart from Saturday when I was very lethargic and weepy.
Thank you to all that have given me advice over the last week I'm sure I will be asking more questions soon. :)

Reactions: 7 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news and well done. IMHO this is a "whole" condition which affects every aspect of our lives at one time or another so we can expect emotional upheavals at some point; and the body can get quite grumpy if denied its long-accustomed but damaging sugar in whatever form. Me, I feel confident that if I suddenly see little green men waving doughnuts at me there will be someone on here who's had the same experience. So to speak. Keep up the good work.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well done Sam, ask away as you want :)

Nickers

Hi I'm thinking about doing low carb as my sugars are a bit out of control and my weight has gone up not sure where to start really any help please?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
Low carb will help with Sugar levels and weight ( With exercise even better)
Low Carb is to cut out or limit any carbs you would normally eat, generally White things, ie Bread, rice, cereals,potatoes, pasta etc.
Look at the forums on this site, on Low Carb, LCHF , diets etc, and you will find lots of info, if not ask and someone will help with an answer.
Good Luck, its really worked for me

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are doing great!

And don't worry, none of us hassle you to keep stuffing fat. You're more likely to be asked if you are getting enough of the essential fatty acids. ;)
Eat however much fat you like, and if you ever want to increase it, do it gently.

It takes a while for the body to adjust, so your weepy days will get less and less.

Glad you've got the energy boost! Makes it easier, when you start feeling the benefits. :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so when you low carb.... what is the max amount of carbs per meal?
Today i decided to do a protein only lunch so all I had was 1 skinless chicken breast. My levels still increased by 6mmols!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so when you low carb.... what is the max amount of carbs per meal?
Today i decided to do a protein only lunch so all I had was 1 skinless chicken breast. My levels still increased by 6mmols!!

You're on insulin, aren't you? So I think you still have to take some for protein, when you low carb. It's much less than for carbs, but type 1 low carbers do work out their own ratios for it, I think.

As to the amount of carbs per meal... I'm afraid we all go for different amounts.

My own experience was that I kept reducing carbs til I felt better.

Some people go for 150g a day (say 50g/meal)
Others as low as 15g a day.
I think we all find our own level.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind if things do you eat when low carbing? Do you get most of carbs from veg or pulses?

Hi,

Yes, veg, some fruit (berries are low carb, tropical fruit tend to be very or too high carb), nuts, seeds and pulses. I've eaten the whole range of high to low carb, over the years, and firmly believe that I am now getting better nutrition than I used to when half the bulk of my diet was nutrient poor potato and bread.

We've got some vegetarians who post on the forum, but meat, fish, eggs, cheese, tofu and quorn are all low carb. As is butter, coconut oil, the fat on meat and fish, veg and nut oils...

If you want to have a look at typical low carb eating, have a read of these threads.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.36803/page-188#post-664458
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
...got through my first week with no dramas apart from the scone slip! I'm not sure if I am low carbing properly but it seems to work for me. Basically I have cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, root veg and refined sugars. I did try to increase fat intake but it made me sick so am having what I am comfortable with.
I have more energy than I can ever remember apart from Saturday when I was very lethargic and weepy.
Thank you to all that have given me advice over the last week I'm sure I will be asking more questions soon. :)
Are you still feeling sick or has it settled? I've been low carbing for the last week and the thought of any food isn't really appealing! Blood sugars are great though!

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you still feeling sick or has it settled? I've been low carbing for the last week and the thought of any food isn't really appealing! Blood sugars are great though!
Hi....no more sickness thankfully...it came on when I upped my fat intake. I now eat as I did before but without the carbs and it seems to work for me. How are you going after your first week?

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi....no more sickness thankfully...it came on when I upped my fat intake. I now eat as I did before but without the carbs and it seems to work for me. How are you going after your first week?
Still struggling a bit, think I might be eating too much protein and fat! I was coping very well on 150g carbs (and I know that's not really low but it is from before!) Now on 60 to 80g carbs with more protein and fat. Haven't got bolusing for protein right. Ahh we'll keep trying :)

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still struggling a bit, think I might be eating too much protein and fat! I was coping very well on 150g carbs (and I know that's not really low but it is from before!) Now on 60 to 80g carbs with more protein and fat. Haven't got bolusing for protein right. Ahh we'll keep trying :)
I must admit i'm not counting carbs but compared to before all my carbs are from veggies etc rather than bread rice pasta etc. Must be working though as people are beginning to notice the weight loss :) x

Reactions: 4 people