Type 2 2 2hrs then test

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Can somebody please explain to me what the big deal is with the 2hrs after food for testing BSL?
Marley99 T2

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If your BG is still high 2 hours after eating a meal, you should reduce the amount of carbs in that meal next time if you want to improve your BG control.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is mainly because the only official advice available is that your blood sugar level should be less than 8.5 two hours after eating. There is no advice regarding other time lapses so if you wish to make up your own targets then feel free to do so.

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
2 hrs after after food means that we are checking how good is our body in responding to the sudden increase in glucose level after in take of food. A healthy person's body are able to bring down the glucose level below 8 by producing sufficient insulin. If the level is above 8 but less than 11 means we are facing impaired insulin tolerance. About this you are very likely comfirm case of diabetic.

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your replies it goves me something to think about and confirms why for me it is a benchmark that needs moving because I also have gastrparesis (a slow digester)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just like the insulin I use as a type one diabetic, the digestion of our food, which is different in everyone, will often peak between 1.5 - 2.5 hours, so this is a good time to see how, for type 2s, your insulin response is to a given amount of carbs, and for type 1s, how well out dose calculation and timing has been....

your thinking along the right lines though with the gastroparesis, this will change your digestion....

does it lengthen the digestion starting, its duration and finish times, or is it a bit of all them randomly...?

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies it goves me something to think about and confirms why for me it is a benchmark that needs moving because I also have gastrparesis (a slow digester)

I was thinking the same thing since I try to eat low-GI carbs. So I took the tests 1.5 hrs and 3 hours after. They always ended up close in my case though.

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
does it lengthen the digestion starting, its duration and finish times, or is it a bit of all them randomly...?

My digestion is lengthened and this can be variable and random.

If I have soup or a fluid meal I digest about 1/2 the speed of 'normal.' A high protein meal I digest about 4xs slower. This also means my calorie intake is recommended far less than 'normal.' Although I eat high GI and absorb maximum nutrition from what I consume I still need suplements because I can't eat the daily recommendations.

Working out what I should be eating is complicated enough and now I have to work out BGL on top.

I have conflicting advice from dietitian vs endocrinologist vs General Practitioner vs diebetic nurse.

I have decided to come in here to see if I can work this out with real life experiences because it is complicated.

Thank you gor your response
Marley99

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My digestion is lengthened and this can be variable and random.

If I have soup or a fluid meal I digest about 1/2 the speed of 'normal.' A high protein meal I digest about 4xs slower. This also means my calorie intake is recommended far less than 'normal.' Although I eat high GI and absorb maximum nutrition from what I consume I still need suplements because I can't eat the daily recommendations.

Working out what I should be eating is complicated enough and now I have to work out BGL on top.

I have conflicting advice from dietitian vs endocrinologist vs General Practitioner vs diebetic nurse.

I have decided to come in here to see if I can work this out with real life experiences because it is complicated.

Thank you gor your response
Marley99
High GI are not good for blood glucose levels.

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
High GI is not good for glucose but low GI is not good for digestion I feel I can't find a medium to keep glucose lower. I never go low because I am always digesting something. I need to be careful not to trigger reflux from a lack of digestion as that has its own problems. Then there is the medication that makes me hungry and crave carbs.

Those of you who manage a low carb diet I am in awe of.
Marley99

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
High blood glucose levels can make gastroparesis worse have you discussed with your doctor the use of insulin to reduce BG.

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
High blood glucose levels can make gastroparesis worse have you discussed with your doctor the use of insulin to reduce BG.
I really want to avoid insulin because I understand there is no going back.

My BGL is usually under 10 (just) so I wouldn't qualify for insulin anyway (I'm Australian.) I have discussed it with doc.
It seems as though docs & dietitians & diebetic nurses are deaf to gastrparesis despite going through the tests and being so severe I am literally off their scale.

After 2hrs instead of having 90% isotopes moved through I only have 10% and after 4hrs 30% after which they stopped estimating 10-12hrs to get to 90%. It is hypothesized this is why I never go BGL low. But how to manage the 2 and lose weight is a challenge I am left to sort out.

I am interested in how high BGL can make gastrparesis worse. I don't know the connection.

Thanks
Marley99

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@donnellysdogs has gastropareisis, and may be able to answer some of your questions.

It is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that the high blood glucose levels cause neuropathy (nerve damage) around the body. No one can preduct where that nerve damage will appear, but if it appears in the digestive tract then it slows digestion and gut transit time, causing all sorts of additional issues - that you are experiencing. You have my sympathy!

Unfortunately, while blood glucose remains at damaging levels, the nerves may continue to deteriorate, and have no chance to heal.
Some nerve damage may improve/heal in the right conditions, as shown by Dr Bernstein, a T1 diabetic who put himself on a very low carb diet and reversed nearly all of his diabetic neuropathy, over a period of years. There has been some recent work showing that some supplements may help to reduce/heal neuropathy too.

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs has gastropareisis, and may be able to answer some of your questions.

It is my (possibly incorrect) understanding that the high blood glucose levels cause neuropathy (nerve damage) around the body. No one can preduct where that nerve damage will appear, but if it appears in the digestive tract then it slows digestion and gut transit time, causing all sorts of additional issues - that you are experiencing. You have my sympathy!

Unfortunately, while blood glucose remains at damaging levels, the nerves may continue to deteriorate, and have no chance to heal.
Some nerve damage may improve/heal in the right conditions, as shown by Dr Bernstein, a T1 diabetic who put himself on a very low carb diet and reversed nearly all of his diabetic neuropathy, over a period of years. There has been some recent work showing that some supplements may help to reduce/heal neuropathy too.

Thank you
I already have neuropathy
I will follow up your link.
Marley

Reactions: 3 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Marley99

"
Over time, diabetes can affect many parts of your body. One of those is the vagus nerve, which controls how quickly your stomach empties. When it's damaged, your digestion slows down and food stays in your body longer than it should."

"
Food that stays in your stomach too long can spoil and lead to the growth of bacteria.

Undigested food can harden and form a lump called a bezoar. It can block your stomach and keep what you eat from moving into the small intestine.

Gastroparesis can make it hard to control diabetes. When food finally does leave your stomach and enter the small intestine, your blood sugar goes up, too. "

From here
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/diabetes-and-gastroparesis

You may find this link of interest too.
http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2010/feb/what-is-diabetic-stomach.html

John

Marley99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
@Marley99

"
Over time, diabetes can affect many parts of your body. One of those is the vagus nerve, which controls how quickly your stomach empties. When it's damaged, your digestion slows down and food stays in your body longer than it should."

"
Food that stays in your stomach too long can spoil and lead to the growth of bacteria.

Undigested food can harden and form a lump called a bezoar. It can block your stomach and keep what you eat from moving into the small intestine.

Gastroparesis can make it hard to control diabetes. When food finally does leave your stomach and enter the small intestine, your blood sugar goes up, too. "

From here
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/diabetes-and-gastroparesis

You may find this link of interest too.
http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2010/feb/what-is-diabetic-stomach.html

John
Thank you, you have put it simply and explains the erraticness of gastropareisis and the impact on BSL.
Marley

Reactions: 4 people