1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

2 Decades - and a broken leg

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by chris1977, Jun 9, 2009.

1. chris1977

chris1977 · Newbie

Hello to all you folks

I know things are tough for some of you newly diagnosed out there, stay head strong and positive.

I was diagnosed at 11 and now 32 years old.

My name is Chris and from Milton Keynes, type 1 diabetic shooting up lantus and novorapid.

Well I was hiking in Wales back in January, managed to break my leg hiking down Cadair Idris in Snowdon national park and just learning to walk again. Hopefully be without those crutches in the next week or so. I was stuck in hospital for three weeks in Wales, waiting two weeks for the operation on my Tibia and Fibula, multipule fractures, very painful! that'll teach me for doing to much sport, probably a stress fracture. Thank god I had my mobile with me and got an RAF airlift off the mountain, ironically my girlfriend is a paramedic.

So my lower left leg has two metal plates in it now. Well, I tell you, being off your feet for over 4 months plays havoc with diabetes, especially when you're very active. Got it back under control now.

Bone infusion took 16 weeks since the operation, had my last x-ray on 1st June.

Well that's the broken leg rant.

My last HB1 was 6.4% in November 2008.

Anyhow, hopefully back to normality and work again soon.

Regards

Chris

ps. don't break a leg, it bloody hurts :lol: wasn't laughing back then though.

Attached Files:

2. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OUCH :!:

Hope you get your strength & fitness back soon.

3. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya chris :D
    welcome to the forum
    sorry about your injuries,hope you soon get sorted, im on week 5 now of a broken ankle and calcaneum so in a similar position :D

take care :D

4. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

Could have been worse, a friend went on a walking holiday in the Peak District and fell down the hotel stairs before she ever had time to walk anywhere!

Seriously, sympathies!

Oh and watch out for those concrete cows, I knew another Type 1 in MK but haven't heard from him for a long time

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook