2 failed Animas pumps in 12 months - my fault?

TheSparkyPony

Has anyone experienced any malfunctions with their pumps?

I've had 2 failures. The first was on my nursing placement. BMs were running high and so I was shoving temp basals and boluses in but nothing happening. Went home and felt tired so whacked another bolus in and went to sleep. Woke up in the middle of a DKA crisis! Pump was not pushing the insulin through. Changed cannula, line etc but all fine. Went to prime and held button down, nothing coming out even though it was saying I'd primed using X amount of units. Looked like a fault in the piston. Was admitted into hospital and drs commented it was rare.

A few months later, with my replacement pump, I kept getting alarms that my pump wasn't priming. So I went through the same routine and checked and replaced everything. Still alarming. Ended up back on MDI for a few days while I got another replacement pump.
Consultant not so happy this time. He grumbled and said once was a rarity, and twice was just unheard of! Basically insinuating that I was interfering with these pumps somehow. They have both been sent off for diagnostic testing but I've heard nothing more about it.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Just sparked my interest as a friend has just text me after having problems with hers this week.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Sparky,
the answer is no it's not your fault. There was a mail shot a few weeks back by Animas admiting there were problems with some of the pumps. This was button sticking etc.
If you have high numbers and one correction does not improve matters then you should always inject. It will save DKA etc.