2 weeks and only lost a lb?

JoeyK

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Other
First week lost 8 (water weight probably) can now wear pants that were tight before....but last 2 weeks only a lb lost. Getting frustrated. I only weigh myself in the morning. I only eat vegetables and protein (chicken, fish, lean ground meat, small portion of steak), only a little cheese. Low calorie and low carb. Only high carb food I ate was popcorn once at the movies. I only allow one treat a week (sat or sun) but nothing sweet (maybe popcorn or rice from shushi). Exercise half hour on eliptical. I've done this diet before and lost quickly and I ate more carbs back then. Someone once told me they gained weight when the lowered their blood sugar because when your sugar is high you loose weight (not healthily of course). Could that be the case with me? I do have thyroid issues but I recently increased my dose.

JoeyK

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Other
FYI my friend lost a lot of weight eating high high fat like Whoppers at Burger King with no bread. How is that possible? I eat out but always make healthier choices for example...
no mayo....light cheese if any.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nothing wrong with a lb in 2 weeks, over a month that would be 2lbs and in 7 months time you would have lost a stone, better to lose weight slowly as your less likely to put it back on. Well done.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So here are a few options:
  1. Instead of allowing yourself one treat a week, limit it to one every two weeks. The other alternative is to reward yourself when you hit a specific weight loss goal ex: every 2lbs you lose.

2. Exercise more- half an hour on the elliptical is definitely a good thing, but you have to realize that’s probably only burning about 300 calories. If you have thyroid issues it may be even less.

3. Start counting calories- eating too much protein can make you gain weight. I know this firsthand as I follow a low-carb diet, but alter my protein intake depending on if I want to gain muscle or lose fat.

4. Start tracking your body measurements: chest, waist, arms, thighs, etc. Remember that weight loss isn’t the goal….it’s FAT loss that is key.
This is literally a science so it’s just a matter of figuring out why you’re not seeing much weight loss and what improvements you can make. Unfortunately, you may have to eat considerably less calories than other people due to your thyroid issues.

Again, as I’ve told you in your last thread, you will absolutely need to tweak things and make adjustments just make sure you’re correcting the right things and give the diet a chance before you give up on it.

I run 20 miles a week, lift weights 4-6 days/week, count calories, low-carb, and I’m still lucky to lose a full pound/week.

Reactions: 2 people